CUzeBox - The new official Uzebox emulator

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
D3thAdd3r

Re: CUzeBox - a new Uzebox emulator in progress

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I noticed some initial preparations for a save state feature. It does seem complicated to support some previous state of the file system, say if a saved state was before some critical write. That said it would be a nice feature even without supporting that. What is required to add this functionality? I guess saving then restoring the state of the processor, ram, and maybe a few emulator flags would do it, but of course there must be a bit more.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I noticed some initial preparations for a save state feature. ... What is required to add this functionality? I guess saving then restoring the state of the processor, ram, and maybe a few emulator flags would do it, but of course there must be a bit more.
Likely mostly time to implement it. I tried to make the emulator so this path is possible to take, just didn't proceed on it as so far I didn't see it something critical to do. There are a few details needing consideration such as interacting with the filesystem (not the emulated one, I mean that the FS is not exactly cross-platform at this level, so it is another ounce of PITA if it came to porting this onto some exotic host).
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

just wondering, is there a pre compiled win32 binary for this emulator? :O
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

schepers_cp wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm just wondering, is there a pre compiled win32 binary for this emulator? :O
There are no "official" binaries for now, but here is a cross-compiled one (works in Wine, hope it also does on the "real thing").
Attachments
cuzebox_windows_20170717.tar.bz2
CUzeBox 2017.07.17 windows binary with SDL2
(416.88 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

Thanks, will try it in about 10 hours on win 7 & win 8.1 (both x64) as I'm about to sleep now :)
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I completed SD Card CRC support in the emulator. Now it should behave according to how the cards themselves generate their CRCs (took some trial and error, even the official specs miss some details, I seriously got to hate CRC...). Alter Ego and Tempest still works, hopefully everything else as well. This change will most importantly help implementing new, more robust bootloaders (it already supports running a bootloader including proper SPM, so you can actually start a Bootloader.hex with it and try uploading a game).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Sweet! I haven't written a bootloader before, but having emulator support for it means it'll be much easier to experiment with things.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Fabulous work. I'm keen to work on a new bootloader.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I added some rudimentary game controller support for SDL2 builds (so by default any native build).

I don't know what it will do, I don't have any game controller to test with. If it detects some controller, it should output its name (or at least that a controller was found) during startup, then it should forward buttons to Player 1. If it works, I will think about how to add some proper input management to the emulator, such a way that if you have at least two pieces of input hardware, you could play two player games with it.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Jubatian wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm I don't know what it will do, I don't have any game controller to test with.
I have the Logitech F310 gamepad and can confirm that it works perfectly in DirectInput mode :) Nice one, thanks!