QT frontend for Uzem?

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
uze6666
Site Admin

QT frontend for Uzem?

Post by uze6666 »

Just like I don't have enough with UCC2014 :roll: , for a while, I was considering the possibility of adding a frontend to uzem using QT. Would make uzem look much more professional, usable and polished. Do anyone knows if that would be possible? I.e: does it have good enough video and audio functions to be ported from SDL? Or can SDL and QT be integrated?
CunningFellow

Re: QT frontend for Uzem?

Post by CunningFellow »

I guess the easiest way would just to be make an application launcher in Qt. Keep Uzem as an SDL app that QT calls.

I am still not making any progress with Qt yet. I don't have useable internet so when I get stuck and have to look for answers it is painful.
paul

Post by paul »

Some guy reckons he has integrated SDL and QT:
Its absolutely possible. My project is a 2D title that uses SDL and OpenGL for graphics and has a QT map editor. We used our graphics engine in the editor build and all the rendering was done onto an QGLWidget. It worked for us pretty well.

Take a look at the QGLWIdget. I think you can just do all your SDL/OpenGL rendering to that widget, and then place the widget inside your QT application so that you can use QT for the GUI components.

If you want to continue using SDL input with your editor to minimize any restructuring you'd have to do with QTs signal/slots, what you might consider doing is to have an input translation layer that processes each QT input action (grabbing all mouse clicks, moves, keyboard presses/releases, and so on) and create the corresponding SDL input event. Then send the event to SDLs event queue so the action can be processed just as if it was a normal event generated by SDL itself (use SDL_PushEvent). The result would be a single application window that would be created and managed by QT that contains a sub-widget that runs your engine/graphical display and processes user input from QT as SDL input events.
It sounds like he's got something similar working. I might (read probably won't) look into it.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

paul wrote:Some guy reckons he has integrated SDL and QT:
It sounds like he's got something similar working. I might (read probably won't) look into it.
Very interesting! Well, if someone can pull it off right now it's you since you're pretty much the only one who know QT (LePlatz was made with it right?).
paul

Post by paul »

uze6666 wrote: Very interesting! Well, if someone can pull it off right now it's you since you're pretty much the only one who know QT (LePlatz was made with it right?).
Yes, LePlatz was done with QT. I don't remember much of it, but it was very easy to use with nice docs, so I'm sure it'd only take a few minutes to get back into it.