Emulator - get latest release here.

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
FallenAvenger

Re: Emulator - get latest release here.

Post by FallenAvenger »

Hi,

first of all kudos to this great page and everyone working on the uzebox project!

I have problems with slowdowns as well when compiling the emulator from source. The precompiled binary runs perfectly under win xp on a core duo. When compiling it from source on the same system (using mingw) I can only run it at about 24 MHz. On Fedora 10, I even get about 17 MHz using a standard g++ -O3 -lSDL build.

Has somebody else experienced the same?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Could it be related to the SDL library?
FallenAvenger

Post by FallenAvenger »

I don't know. I'm using the standard SDL-devel packages from the Fedora repository. For Windows I use the latest stable SDL version and the latest mingw. Even reinstalled everything without effects. I recognized that my own executable is almost doule size of the prebuild one I downloaded but all optimization is activated.
pragma

Post by pragma »

FallenAvenger wrote:I recognized that my own executable is almost doule size of the prebuild one I downloaded but all optimization is activated.
IIRC, -O3 forces loop unrolling; -O2 just inlines where it can. That would explain the bloat.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I recall trying other optimizations params with no great results. Better stick with what Dave used (that's should be defined inside the VC++ project file).

Uze
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

uze6666 wrote:I recall trying other optimizations params with no great results. Better stick with what Dave used (that's should be defined inside the VC++ project file).

Uze
I think he's saying that the prebuilt emulator runs fine on his machine under WinXP (dual boot maybe)? But the linux port is much slower.

While I haven't bootcamped my macbookpro in forever, I can say that the SDL port on the mac seems to have much more overhead than the Win32 version does elsewhere. There are several command line parameters that tweak the SDL setup, try some of them? (run with no parameters or look near the end of the source code)

-Dave
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Well I haven't been able to compile it myself, but I've been working with the most recent one in Windows 7, and it uses all my CPU power. It lags a ton at start-up, and then after about a minute or so, speeds up to normal speed. Might there be a memory leak going on somewhere?
DavidEtherton

Post by DavidEtherton »

Conexion wrote:Well I haven't been able to compile it myself, but I've been working with the most recent one in Windows 7, and it uses all my CPU power. It lags a ton at start-up, and then after about a minute or so, speeds up to normal speed. Might there be a memory leak going on somewhere?
32bit or 64bit? I'm running Win7/64 both at home and at work right now and don't recall any problems.

The emulator only does a very small amount of memory allocation at startup, and shouldn't do anything at runtime. But of course I'm at the mercy of whatever SDL is doing under the hood.

EDIT: Just checked, no slowdown on Win7/64. It's running full speed in a window, 11% of a 3Ghz quad-core machine. If I run with -nosound it hogs an entire core and runs at 64Mhz.

-Dave
Last edited by DavidEtherton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

DavidEtherton wrote:
Conexion wrote:Well I haven't been able to compile it myself, but I've been working with the most recent one in Windows 7, and it uses all my CPU power. It lags a ton at start-up, and then after about a minute or so, speeds up to normal speed. Might there be a memory leak going on somewhere?
32bit or 64bit? I'm running Win7/64 both at home and at work right now and don't recall any problems.

The emulator only does a very small amount of memory allocation at startup, and shouldn't do anything at runtime. But of course I'm at the mercy of whatever SDL is doing under the hood.

-Dave
32 here. I'll possibly be reformatting back to XP soon, so when that happens, I'll try it again. It is odd that it is doing that though. At first I thought it was it me running multiple things, but I closed everything, then restarted and tried it... ends up very slow as well as making the music/sounds all broken up. Hmm.
paul

Post by paul »

Just letting people know that the latest svn code adds tentative support for joysticks. I only have access to this joystick which I'm using with original snes controllers on Windows XP SP3. I don't know of Linux drivers for this adapter, so I didn't test it on Linux.

In case your joystick represents actions differently than mine, you can re-map the joystick bindings by pressing 7 and following the instructions printed to the console. These changes will be saved on exit and will load from that point on. You can reset to the default settings by re-mapping accordingly or by deleting the "joystick-settings" file. There's currently support for two joysticks (one for each player) which will be the first two connected to your computer as detected by SDL.

Hopefully we can eventually support all of the most common joysticks/gamepads.