Some roms not working in Uzem

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
Flecko

Re: Some roms not working in Uzem

Post by Flecko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 am

Well, I'm sorry to say that after compiling and running a fresh version of the Uzebox source from SVN, everything seems to be working fine under 32-bit Ubuntu Linux 12.04.

Specifically, Mode5Demo.hex, Mode9Demo.hex and Tutorial.hex. I didn't try every last rom other than those, but a couple of them, and they all worked as expected.
Doesn't help close the books on the mystery, but at least we know its not all 32 bit linux that suffers the problem.

Best of luck finding the cause,
-Flecko

garretraziel

Post by garretraziel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Ok, I made some experiments.

On the other machine with 32bit Archlinux, those ROMs doesn't work either.

Not working roms from SVN:
bootloader.hex (when run, it prints: ignoring unknown record type 3 in line 251 of Bootloader.hex)
Mode5Demo.hex
Mode9Demo.hex
SDCardDemo.hex
SpriteDemo.hex (it falls with SIGSEGV)
tutorial.hex
unittest.hex

And in the latest SVN build (I have one like two weeks old, where it works normally):
Arkanoid and Atomix shows rubbish instead of text, but otherwise it works:
http://i.imgur.com/gd6f3.png
Other roms from SVN works.

uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:17 pm

You won't be able to run ROMS that requires the SD card, like bootlader and SDCardDemo. And unittest I don't even recall what it was for, I didn't commit this. I saw from your first post that you can't build from 3.3 or the trunk? What errors do you receive?

-Uze

garretraziel

Post by garretraziel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

In SVN version, I had only problem with "VectorDemo". Compiler said that on lines 44 and 52 should be constant arrays (there are only "normal" arrays). I put "constant" before them and it then compiled. This was in SVN version.

In version 3.3 there are those problems:

Code: Select all

g++  Debug/uzem.o  Debug/avr8.o  Debug/uzerom.o  Debug/gdbserver.o -o /home/garret/Projects/uzebox/bin//uzemdbg -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DLINUX -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -DGUI=1 -DJOY_ANALOG_DEADZONE=8192 -L/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread -DUSE_PORT_PRINT=0 -DUSE_SPI_DEBUG=1 -DUSE_EEPROM_DEBUG=1 -DUSE_GDBSERVER_DEBUG=1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file /home/garret/Projects/uzebox/bin//uzemdbg: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/home/garret/Projects/uzebox/bin//uzemdbg] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [tools/uzem] Error 2
to fix that, I have to create "bin" directory. After that:

avr-gcc -I"../../../kernel"  -mmcu=atmega644 -Wall -gstabs -std=gnu99 -DF_CPU=28636360UL -Os -mcall-prologues -fsigned-char -MD -MP -MT uzeboxCore.o -MF dep/uzeboxCore.o.d  -DVIDEO_MODE=3 -DINTRO_LOGO=0 -DSCROLLING=0 -DSOUND_CHANNEL_4_ENABLE=0 -DSOUND_CHANNEL_2_ENABLE=1 -DSOUND_CHANNEL_3_ENABLE=1 -DCENTER_ADJUSTMENT=0 -DMIXER_WAVES=\"/home/garret/Projects/uzebox/demos/Arkanoid/data/arkanoid_sounds.inc\" -DMAX_SPRITES=20 -DRAM_TILES_COUNT=28 -DVRAM_TILES_V=29 -c  ../../../kernel/uzeboxCore.c
../../../kernel/uzeboxCore.c:66:4: error: variable 'eeprom_format_table' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
make[1]: *** [uzeboxCore.o] Error 1
make: *** [demos/Arkanoid/default] Error 2
that is problem I was talking about - making array "eeprom_format_table" const. This error is shown in other files, for example uzeboxSoundEngine.c on line 158, uzeboxVideoEngine on line 264, Arkanoid.c on line 143 (so there will be const char * const), bootloader.c on line 42.

When compilling Mode5Demo, it says:

gconvert ../data/tiles.gconvert.xml
make[1]: gconvert: Command not found
so I added ~/Projects/uzebox/bin to $PATH.

And after it, it says:

avr-size: invalid option -- 'C'
when I'm done, because I don't know how to correct this.

uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:37 pm

And after it, it says:

CODE: SELECT ALL
avr-size: invalid option -- 'C'

when I'm done, because I don't know how to correct this.
Hmm yeah, the dreaded avr-size issue. Check http://code.google.com/p/uzebox/issues/detail?id=11 for help on that.

-Uze

garretraziel

Post by garretraziel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

I think that easiest solution is to use svn trunk, where is all that fixed (except of VectorDemo.c).

Now I can confirm that tutorial.hex doens't work on 64bit Archlinux. So it's perhaps problem of Archlinux.

uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 pm

I think that easiest solution is to use svn trunk, where is all that fixed (except of VectorDemo.c).
Thanks for finding that out. I will fix the makefile to have it inline with the other projects that works. Indeed, I'd use the trunk, it's very stable nowadays and includes new features and many refactoring to the kernel that recovers memory and cpu.

-Uze

garretraziel

Post by garretraziel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Ok, I can compile SVN version without problems. But what about that screenshot I have sent? That error in Arkanoid.uze? Does anybody else has this problem?

Btw, soldered EUzebox today, but we have to wait for SNES controllers and we must borrow AVR programmer somewhere.

uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:34 pm

That error in Arkanoid.uze? Does anybody else has this problem?
Yeah that's a weird issue...think I got it once when I was reworking the kernel..but can't remember what it was. Still have the problem?

-Uze

garretraziel

Post by garretraziel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:44 am

Yep.

And I have made some discoveries today. Maybe (only maybe), the problem is not with emulator. Because, I have built emulator from SVN and tutorial.uze, mode9demo.uze and other ROMs from SVN don't work, but I have downloaded rom pack and all (prebuild) ROMs from there work.