UZEM & SD card emulation

The Uzebox now have a fully functional emulator! Download and discuss it here.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: UZEM & SD card emulation

Post by uze6666 »

So the default folder should be the same folder as the hex/uze file
Great idea! :) It make perfect sense since, on the sd card, games always look for the data files in the same directory where the uze files are located. They have to go together anyway. I'd keep the -c for things like uzeamp. Another way I tough a while ago is to pack the data file(s) in the .uze file itself. That would it much easier to distribute and run in uzem too.

In any cases both approach should be implemented I think, but the first one is the easiest and a no brainer.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I hope both of those ideas are implemented as it would be nice to offload songs to the sdcard. Kernel level support for streaming songs is like everyone has 6-12k extra flash space for their games!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yeah audio streaming is something I always wanted to do. Could be done easily when using the vsync mixer, but it takes more ram. With the inline mixer it could prove trickier but I think feasible. It would eat up one of the audio channels though. But again that's not too bad since they would only be used for sound fx. :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

uzem_sd1.jpg
uzem_sd1.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
Good progress on uzem! I fixed a couple bugs and it can now stream frames from the emulated SD card...at last, it works just like the hardware! :D

Only one issue...emulation drops a bit to ~26Mhz on my machine. I'll try to find way to improve the speed, but so far so good. I'll test a bit more and post something in the next few days.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Update! Well, I didn't think I'd saw that one day, but it finally works...it runs the movie player demo flawlessly! :mrgreen: Freaking pretty awesome the first time it played. And it runs full speed (never mind what's in the picture below). Still a couple little snag with my demo on the previous post, works on uzem but now...not so much on the hardware! Argh!

Here's the link to: uzem 1.19, MoviePlayer.hex and the classic 8-bit trip .uzm movie! Unzip in a folder and just drag the .hex file on uzem...by default it now auto-mounts the SD Card Directory from the .hex file's path!
http://belogic.com/uzebox/files/uzem-mo ... -v1_19.zip (33 MB)
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

That's cool!
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

Nice! :D

Any idea what the bottleneck is where you said it dropped to 26mhz? File access should not be able to create such a bottleneck.. :shock:
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Awesome...

Now we need only a small endless video with a burnig fire in the fireplace.... That could be a great application for the player in long winter evenings ;)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Harty123 wrote:Awesome...

Now we need only a small endless video with a burnig fire in the fireplace.... That could be a great application for the player in long winter evenings ;)
:lol: excellent idea, if I get time, I'll try making such a movie.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

New Uzem v1.19 beta is commited. Includes the auto-mount feature, bug fixes and improved performance. Attached is a binary for windows. Still more tests to do then I'll promote it to final release.
Attachments
uzem_win32_v1.19-beta.zip
(452.01 KiB) Downloaded 421 times