Help I'm a newb

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
keoni29

Help I'm a newb

Post by keoni29 »

Hi there everyone! I'm keoni29 from the netherlands. I am almost 17 years old and I just love oldskool games. I make games for the ti84 graphic calculators. I made some game maker games too.
I was searching for information about microcontrollers for my profile essay when I found a video about the uzebox console. This is exactely what I've always wanted, but I thought that it didn't exist.
Few questions:
- how long does it take to learn how to make games for this console?
- I have windows 7. It doesn't support the game-port. Is this a problem?
- There are a few versions of the console. Are those compatible? Whats the difference between them?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Last edited by keoni29 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Help I'm a newb

Post by uze6666 »

Welcome to the Uzebox, :)
- how long does it take to learn how to make games for this console?
It depends on the kind of game. Simple non-scrolling games like Dr.Mario or Lander can be made in a couple week ends. All in all it depends how comfortable you are in C and programming in general. Since you already made games for other platforms, I just a matter of learning the API. And there's plenty of games with sources that you can use. Plus there's the wiki and folks on this forums that are always glad to help.
- I have windows 7. It doesn't support the game-port. Is this a problem?
What's the game-port? Those old db15 connectors? No you won't need that! All the software tooling works on Windows and USB ports is all you need.
- There are a few versions of the console. Are those compatible? Whats the difference between them?
They are all 100% functionally compatible, that is all game made so far works as-is on all versions. The differences lies in hardware details, like a version that does not have the AD725 and uses the SCART interface (EUzebox), one version fully assembled (AVCore) and kit versions (Uzebox/Fuzebox).

Cheer,

-Uze
keoni29

Post by keoni29 »

Which type is recommended for a developer? I have never programmed in C before, but I have some experience with learning languages. The basics like logic is always the same, so I think the basics are not going to be a problem. I have to write software in C for a school project, so I have plenty of opptunities to improve my C skills.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Currently, only C is supported to make games...or AVR assembler if you're really hardcore! 8-) Apart the pointer stuff, C is pretty simple and easy to use and there's gazillions of info and tutorials on the net.

Check those Wiki pages to get started:
http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... the_Uzebox
http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hello_World

-Uze
keoni29

Post by keoni29 »

I have some experience with pointers. The languages for the ti84 work with pointers.
keoni29

Post by keoni29 »

Can someone give me a list with some programming software? I have a working emulator now.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

You need to install WinAVR. That contain GCC, the C compiler tool chain and the avrlibc libraries. Then grab AVRStudio, Atmel's IDE.

-Uze
keoni29

Post by keoni29 »

Thanks! I am probably going to buy an avcore, but I'm not sure.
Edit: I have the software running now. Where can I find a simple code example/project to play with? I don't know how to build a game from scratch using this interface.