New to Uzebox, have some questions

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
greenpower

New to Uzebox, have some questions

Post by greenpower »

Hi everyone,

I'm David and i'm from Spain. I was following the project since last year and now finally i've done the "first step" into this awesome machine. I'm 13 and i know how to solder and i'm learning how to program in C (just things like scanf, printf, for, ect.)
Some days ago i've decided to build Harty's Euzebox because i think AD 725 is useless right here and i hate breadboards because they are very complicate to remember wich wire goes were.

so there are some questions:
-I've downloaded the bins for win 32 and every time i execute any app as packrom or uzem they don't work and only show a cli just for a second. i've extraxted all the files in a folder in my drive.

-what about xmega research? because if it could be used will gave us a gazillion of pins for all those futuristic ideas as ethernet, usb, wireless controllers, psx, ps2, genesis ect.

- how do i put the .uze files in my sd card: in the parent directory or in a diferent folder
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly
Harty123

Re: New to Uzebox, have some questions

Post by Harty123 »

Hi David,
greenpower wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm David and i'm from Spain. I was following the project since last year and now finally i've done the "first step" into this awesome machine. I'm 13 and i know how to solder and i'm learning how to program in C (just things like scanf, printf, for, ect.)
Some days ago i've decided to build Harty's Euzebox because i think AD 725 is useless right here and i hate breadboards because they are very complicate to remember wich wire goes were.
:mrgreen:
greenpower wrote: so there are some questions:
-I've downloaded the bins for win 32 and every time i execute any app as packrom or uzem they don't work and only show a cli just for a second. i've extraxted all the files in a folder in my drive.
This bins are command line orientated progams (in the late Stone Age the PC's used a operating system called MS-DOS). Go in the folder with the binaries and start the CD prompt window (You can open a new CMD prompt by choosing START, RUN, cmd, OK). Now you can enter the name from one of these programs followed by parameters...
greenpower wrote: -what about xmega research? because if it could be used will gave us a gazillion of pins for all those futuristic ideas as ethernet, usb, wireless controllers, psx, ps2, genesis ect.
Hm, this is a political question for UZE. (I would prefer ARM Cortex M0 or M3 instead of XMEGA ;)
greenpower wrote: - how do i put the .uze files in my sd card: in the parent directory or in a diferent folder
Yes put these files in the parent directory!

Greetings to Spain

-Harty
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: New to Uzebox, have some questions

Post by uze6666 »

Hi There, welcome to the Uzebox community!
-what about xmega research? because if it could be used will gave us a gazillion of pins for all those futuristic ideas as ethernet, usb, wireless controllers, psx, ps2, genesis ect.
Aaaah, yeah the xmega... Thing is, it's not just the CPU that made the success of the Uzebox. It was a careful balance of simplicity over power coupled with the ability to build it easily. It's was also about creating an easy to use API with a stable kernel and video mode. And let's not forget the awesome emulator created by Dave Etherton, without it I doubt the the whole thing would have gone so far. So as you can see, that's a hell of work, specially when moving to something else like Cortex chips (which I find awesome btw). I guess I will open a thread to discuss the future direction of the project.

-Uze