Uzebox Kits Now Available!

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzebox Kits Now Available!

Post by uze6666 »

Uzebox fans that waited for ages to build their own...rejoice! :mrgreen:

I'm pleased to announce that the Uzebox PCB in out! The board features the following:
  • Composite video and S-Video outputs jack
  • Luma trap to improve composite video quality
  • Sound output jack
  • MIDI IN
  • SD/MMC interface
  • "Soft power" switch
  • ISP programming interface
  • Two extensions headers. One exposes the free general I/Os and the other the RGB+sync signals for uses with European SCART and JAMMA interfaces.
  • SNES connector with breakout header to allow mounting in a case
Available for purchase are two kits: A base kit that includes the PCB along two SNES connectors, one SD card socket*, the 28.63636Mhz crystal and four bumpers. There's also a full kit withe PCB plus all required parts. For those and more, check out the Uzebox Store.

The schematic in Eagle and PDF formats, the PCB layout and the BOM are attached to this post.
For more information on the PCB check out this thread.
Schematic, PCB layout and BOM are available from the Download Page.

A couple comments about the PCB & it's assembly:
  • I have updated the BOM to use a different inductor for the Luma trap based on input by Harty123. This new one is axial vs radial for the old one. Btw, you don't need to buy it at all if you don't care about the composite output and intend to use the SVIDEO output most.
  • The A/V jacks will feel loose a bit in the pcb holes. Bend the pins apart slightly so it "snaps" into place firmly. I'll update the footprint for the next revision.
  • The outline of the AD725 was on the wrong Eagle layer (doh) so it does not appear on the silkscreen. The orientation of chip is to have the notch downward (toward the mega644) like in this picture.
  • The SNES connector plastic won't withstand a lot of heat before becoming loose so solder them quickly. Hold the connector firmly on the pads, begin by heating the just the pad for a second or two then both the pin and the pad then add solder. I found it easier to solder pins at both extremities of the connector first.

Cheers!

-Uze

(*) When doing the PCB, the SD socket originally used were out of stock and could not found a suitable replacement at Digikey. I found this version at Sparkfun. In the next batch I may revise the PCB to support a SD socket available at Digikey (like 478-4061-1-ND).
TonyD

Re: Uzebox PCB Base Kits Now Available!

Post by TonyD »

Cool.
Any idea what the international shipping costs will be say to UK or Europe ?
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

Just a heads up. Looking at the BOM, I'm pretty sure it's missing some things. The 220uF capacitors seem to be missing, and there is nothing for the (optional, I guess) optoisolator or headers.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi Tony, I'll have to pass to the post office to get a good price (the online quote shows a completely ridiculous 90$!). If it's anything above 20$, you'll be better off ordering a batch of 10 from ITead! For the SNES connectors, there's Harty123 in Germany who can resell some in Europe.
Just a heads up. Looking at the BOM, I'm pretty sure it's missing some things. The 220uF capacitors seem to be missing, and there is nothing for the (optional, I guess) optoisolator or headers.
You are quite right, I'll fix this. Thanks for letting me know. :)

-Uze
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,
uze6666 wrote:
Hi Tony, I'll have to pass to the post office to get a good price (the online quote shows a completely ridiculous 90$!). If it's anything above 20$, you'll be better off ordering a batch of 10 from ITead! For the SNES connectors, there's Harty123 in Germany who can resell some in Europe.
You are quite right, I'll fix this. Thanks for letting me know. :)

-Uze
Yep. I'm creating actually a layout for a SCART based Uzebox (called EUzebox) for Europe. I will offer the PCB and part kit (including all parts, except parts for Midi interface) and also a enclosure kit with milled aluminium enclosure and illuminated reset button.

@Uze

Perhaps we should open a special thread (EUzebox) for this discussion and close my other discussion under "Interesting thread"...

-Harty
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Perhaps we should open a special thread (EUzebox) for this discussion and close my other discussion under "Interesting thread"...
Good idea, open it in the Hardware section, and I'll make it "sticky" so it always appears at the top.

-Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

BOM was fixed and parts cross references to the schematic were also added. Check the main post for the link to the download page.

-Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Regarding the kits I mentioned in the first post. I made some calculations based on building 10 kits with the following:
  • PCB
  • All parts except for MIDI interface
  • 1xSNES third party controller (Tomee)
  • 1x9VDC switching wall power supply
  • 1x A/V cable
Comes up to 75$ per kit. Note that 10 is usually the price break at Digikey to get better price. Naturally it's easy to see the total cost of ordering all that. ;) So I'm opening a list for those interested in a kit. If I reach 6 firm orders I order them!

-Uze
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

The first batch is sold off. To those who bough boards, check the first post, I've put a list of things to check before ordering parts/building the boards.

-Uze
kscharf

Post by kscharf »

What's the status today? Can I order a PCB? Did you add provision for an overpowered '1284?