newbie questions

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: newbie questions

Post by uze6666 »

According to the HW Info tab, seems to show communication to the programmer is fine. Although the main tab is obscured by the error message. What is the speed listed in the drop down box underneath? Other thoughts: Uzebox must be powered when programming, the ISP interface doesn't provide power. The ISP is plugged the right way, 6 pin connectors with the cable going outwards.

-Uze
1mpar

Post by 1mpar »

ISP frequency is 115,2KHz

I have both USBtinyISP and uzebox connected to USB ports.

Is the cable connection right?

And which AVR programmer should I use in AVR Studio? I can connect using STK500 and AVRISP.
1mpar

Post by 1mpar »

hi, uze

Now I understood the whole process and could compile and create some HEX files in AVR Studio. So this part is OK.

Now I need to make the upload to work. We´re cheking if the problem is with the programmer (USBtinyISP) that was assembled here. Maybe there's something wrong with it. I'll try with another one next week. If you see anything wrong in the AVR Studio config in the previews I posted before please tell me.

1mpar
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Now I understood the whole process and could compile and create some HEX files in AVR Studio. So this part is OK.
Aaah then that's 80% of the work done! ;)
Now I need to make the upload to work. We´re cheking if the problem is with the programmer (USBtinyISP) that was assembled here. Maybe there's something wrong with it. I'll try with another one next week. If you see anything wrong in the AVR Studio config in the previews I posted before please tell me.
Silly question, but I assume the Uzebox already works? i.e: it displays the ESD attack game? Otherwise I can seem to see any issues with the hardware setup. Perhaps you could get a look on Adafruits forums to see if there's know issues with Windows 7 and the drivers. Also you can try using the avrdude program to access/program the uzebox. It would eliminate the possible issues with the STK500/Serial driver.

-Uze
1mpar

Post by 1mpar »

yes, uzebox is working. it displays the sparkfun game.

about the drivers, after a long time I could install them in windows 7. I had them already installed before posting these questions.

I'll try avrdude and also another programmer. hope it works.

1mpar
1mpar

Post by 1mpar »

hi, uze

changed the programmer and tried arvdude. still nothing happens.
in avr studio I get the message "entering programming mode...FAILED!" and in avrdude: "initialization failed, rc=-1".
I checked all the cables but still nothing.
I have until the end of this week to complete the project and I don't know what to do... :?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi 1mpar,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of the civilization for some vacations. Sad to learn you could not resolve your issue. Reading back the whole thread, here's things to try:

1.From your last picture, seems you cable is plugged backward. The red wire usually indicates pin1 and appears on the same side as the arrow on the connector. Pin 1 on Avcore is top left on my picture. Confirm the cable's red wire goes to pin1 of the header inside the avrisp tiny.

2.Have you seen this thread on Adafruit forums?

3.If both 1 and 2 are ok, try on a winXP machine if possible.

Hope that helps,

-Uze