New to UZEBOX and have some questions..

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
3vix_6

New to UZEBOX and have some questions..

Post by 3vix_6 »

Hi,

I'm new to the concept of UZEBOX, how does this compare/contrast to the xgamestation? How good/accurate is the documentation
for the device as far as programming is concerned?

Also, are there any plans for a 16/32 bit version of the hardware coming out?

How easy is the uzebox to customize? (hardware is concerned, adding peripherials like a CDROM/ethernet and such)

Thanks!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: New to UZEBOX and have some questions..

Post by uze6666 »

Hi there, welcome to the Uzebox forums!

I avoid getting into Uzebox vs. XGS debate but to compare apples with apples you should use the XGS AVR for comparisons. Let's just say that it term of performance and functionality they are mostly equivalent. The philosophy is where they differ most. The XGS is a closed design/commercial product with a book and everything that is there to make money. The Uzebox is an open source project that evolves with the work of many peoples who contributes code, tool, knowledge, etc for free. Although you can buy Kit & assembled version of the Uzebox, you can also make it yourself since all schematics are freely available and the design uses a low part count.

Unique to the Uzebox is a full emulator with GDB support, not just a code simulator. This greatly helps develop stuff for the Uzebox. In fact some games like Pac-Man and BC Dash were totally developed on it! And speaking of games, well, the Uzebox has many complete games developed by community members, not just tech demos like the XGS (perhaps there is but I could not find any). Another unique feature is a bootloader that allows you to run games from the SD card. The project also has many tools to convert graphics, music, manage the EEPROM, etc.

Regarding documentation, the XGS comes with a big book and, since it's written by Andre Lamothe, I would assume it's pretty well done. The Uzebox on the other hand has a Wiki into which a lot of similar content has been written over 2 years by many contributor. There's tutorial on many subjects, tips, API documentation and much more. One thing I like a lot is the fact that coders can put up a page for their game and maintain it themselves.
Also, are there any plans for a 16/32 bit version of the hardware coming out?
The short answer is not for the foreseeable future. The whole essence of the project and what made it popular is retro-minimalism and the challenge it poses to develop fun stuff on it. 32 bits with loads of memory, run Linux and all, though cool, is a far cry from the original idea. That said, one community member is working on a derived project called the Scuzzbox with uses a 32 bit ARM processor. Have a look here.
How easy is the uzebox to customize? (hardware is concerned, adding peripherials like a CDROM/ethernet and such)
It's an open design, sky is the limit. I try to keep the "standard reference design" slim to keep it hobbyist friendly, but any features that many would like can be added as an option and supported by the Uzebox kernel (like MIDI port for instance). One such feature would be network connectivity. Some have considered using a Wiznet ethernet module. Others, a simple serial-to-usb cable with a "bridge" program on the computer.

Uze
3vix_6

Post by 3vix_6 »

Yeah, I noticed that the xgs seems to be there more to capitalize off of people rather than for the benefit of people learning. I think the Hydra uses it's OWN language rather than using C or ASM, which to me makes me feel it's more useless when going from one platform to another.

I've been snooping around the site and I really like how everything is homegrown more for peoples learning benefit, rather than "just" making money. Is the community really helpful?

So, I'm assuming you're the creator of this project? Where did you learn to do this kind of stuff?
Adrastos

Post by Adrastos »

Personally, I would go with the Uzebox (and just did a week or two ago). The XGS does look pretty cool, with some features that I don't think the Uzebox has at the moment (for example, the "Parallaxoroids" and "Racing Engine" demos aren't currently possible on the Uzebox without some serious trickery - I think). Fancy things aside, the great thing about the Uzebox is that it's open source! And you build it yourself! That's ton's of fun right there.

The community is great - they've helped me create my first game already (actually pretty easy to do once you get into it), and I'm clipping along pretty well on my second.

To be honest, some of the documentation sometimes leaves a little to be desired (a few functions aren't filled out..), but it's very easy to figure out - especially if you look at other peoples' source codes. Plus, when you have the time and knowledge, you can easily update the documentation yourself!

It's easy to uze, is tons of fun, and is cheaper. What more could you ask for? ;)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Another nice thing is your input matters as far as shaping the course of things to come. Still plenty of things left to do, and your contributions wether in code,games,documentation, or ideas make a difference. Way better community in my very biased oppinion :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

To be honest, some of the documentation sometimes leaves a little to be desired (a few functions aren't filled out..), but it's very easy to figure out - especially if you look at other peoples' source codes. Plus, when you have the time and knowledge, you can easily update the documentation yourself!
Exactly! That's the beauty of a wiki, everyone can contribute stuff. Lately Paul wrote some of the missing API calls btw.

-Uze