Interested in buying an Uzebox - some questions

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
Roukan

Interested in buying an Uzebox - some questions

Post by Roukan »

Hi All

As per the topic subject, I have a few questions and hopefully someone can help put me on the right track :D

I live in the UK and would like to connect the Uzebox to my Samsung LE32B450C4W Television set.

After doing a bit of research, I saw there is a version called the "EUzebox" that has RGB SCART output which seems the one to go for.

This only seems available in kit form (maybe I'm wrong - I hope I am :oops:).

Problem is I cannot solder to save my life and don't know anyone locally that could do it for me :cry:

So I was wondering if there's any possibility to purchase a fully assembled "EUzebox" from anywhere, or maybe there's a member out there based in the UK that could build one for me or maybe selling one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards

Roukan / Jim
Harty123

Re: Interested in buying an Uzebox - some questions

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,

I have a lot of customers from the UK, but I can't give you their addresses or phone numbers without their agreement. Perhaps we will found another way ... sometimes I have full assembled prototypes from exhibitions or other events... I can inform you about this, if you want.

Cheers

-Harty
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Hi Harty
Harty123 wrote: I have a lot of customers from the UK, but I can't give you their addresses or phone numbers without their agreement.
Quite understandable, maybe some of them will hopefully see this post and respond.
Harty123 wrote: Perhaps we will found another way ... sometimes I have full assembled prototypes from exhibitions or other events... I can inform you about this, if you want.
By all means let me know if you have one become available and we can take it from there.

I understand that due to my lack of soldering skills this could take a while (hopefully not), in the meantime I'm having a play around with the Emulator and I have just setup the development environment to familiarise myself with that.

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Roukan / Jim
Janka

Post by Janka »

Roukan wrote:I understand that due to my lack of soldering skills
Apart form the SD card slot and the SNES connector, Harty's kit is through-hole only, which means there are no special soldering skills or tools required; and the slot and connectors are easy to solder, too. Any 30..50W soldering iron with fine tip and Sn60Pb40 with flux and <1mm diameter will do. Buy a small ring of 0,5mm wire and a blank board with hundreds of small copper eyelets on it to practice; once you manage to solder wires to such eyelets without having it come off you are ready for the kit. (Clue: first the wire goes through the eyelet, then the tip goes to the wire, then to the eyelet, take away tip, then put the solder to both the eyelet and wire. The solder has to melt on the eyelet and wire, not on the tip. That's the whole magic of soldering.)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I agree with Janka, building the kit is relatively easy and is a great way to learn soldering. Plus it very rewarding to actually see something you build work! There's tons of tutorials on youtube to help.
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

@Janka - Thanks for posting the tips - always appreciated :)
uze6666 wrote:I agree with Janka, building the kit is relatively easy and is a great way to learn soldering. Plus it very rewarding to actually see something you build work! There's tons of tutorials on youtube to help.
I can see where you are coming from here and fully agree that it's very rewarding to see something one has built come to life 8-)

One thing I failed to mention in my original post:

I used to do a lot of competitive bicycle racing (both on-road and off) and through out the years had quite a few crashes (some not so painful - others a bit more so).

After around eight years or so I started having problems with my left arm (all the way shoulder to fingers), pain / weakness / sometimes loss of control like muscle twitches/motor tics (for want of a better description). After consultation with doctors/physiotherapists, they came to the decision that I had trapped nerves(s) in my spine which where very likely a result of the impacts suffered in the cycling accidents.

Sadly the physiotherapy (traction on my spine and so on) treatment did nothing to ease the problem. That was around ten years ago and to this day it still plagues me at times and though the main focal point of the problem is my left arm, over recent years I started getting the muscle twitches/motor tics at random places all over my body.

Anyway enough of the life stories, but as I'm sure you can understand this combined with the lack of soldering skills has an even greater potential for disaster.

Though I'd be missing out on the reward of building my own, I more than make up for it on the programming front when I see my creations up on screen not matter how good or bad they may be :D

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Roukan wrote: After around eight years or so I started having problems with my left arm (all the way shoulder to fingers), pain / weakness / sometimes loss of control like muscle twitches/motor tics (for want of a better description). After consultation with doctors/physiotherapists, they came to the decision that I had trapped nerves(s) in my spine which where very likely a result of the impacts suffered in the cycling accidents.

Sadly the physiotherapy (traction on my spine and so on) treatment did nothing to ease the problem. That was around ten years ago and to this day it still plagues me at times and though the main focal point of the problem is my left arm, over recent years I started getting the muscle twitches/motor tics at random places all over my body.
a very sad story. If you want, I can sell my enclosure prototype to you. It's a assembled PCB built-in an enclosure prototype (you can see it in the EUzebox thread).... It's not so perfect as the series enclosures, but it looks really good.
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Harty123 wrote:
Roukan wrote: a very sad story. If you want, I can sell my enclosure prototype to you. It's a assembled PCB built-in an enclosure prototype (you can see it in the EUzebox thread).... It's not so perfect as the series enclosures, but it looks really good.
Hi Harty

It's very kind of you to offer me the chance to purchase your prototype to me :D

Can you PM me with the details / cost / payment method details etc so we can get the ball rolling?

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Quick Update:

Well she's arrived :D

Just like to say a big thank you to "Harty123" for helping me out by selling me one of his own personal EUzebox's.

Just had it hooked up to my Samsung 32" LCD TV and the Audio / Video are great, though I think I'll try and source a much smaller TV at some point as those pixels are some damn big !

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Janka

Post by Janka »

Roukan wrote:Well she's arrived :D
It's a SHE? :shock: I haven't realized that until now. Must... resist... to... hug... :mrgreen: