Uzebox Quick Start

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzebox Quick Start

Post by uze6666 »

Which game do you try to open? The .aps files all works as far as I know. Maybe your copy is corrupted?

-Uze
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Uze,

I went to the wiki page of pacman and space invaders, and from there, I clicked the sources section. I downloaded the .aps file from google code

Rafael David Pérez
paul

Post by paul »

Hi Rafael,

You can get pacman source with an svn export of https://uzebox-paul.googlecode.com/svn/ ... mes/pacman

Doing this just now, I can open the .aps file with AVRStudio 4.16 without any problems. You can also access the source in a single download here.
If the source does not have a "kernel" folder within it, then you'll need to add the kernel folder (and associated uzebox kernel source) at the same level that the .aps file is at in order to build the project. Alternatively, you can edit the makefile to point to wherever you keep your uzebox kernel source code (currently this is set relative to the "default" directory as KERNEL_DIR = ../kernel). The Space Invaders download includes the kernel source if you want to just copy that around (it's an older version of the kernel).

Please let us know if you run into any problems with the above instructions.
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Uze,

There's just one thing I can't understand... How can I point to where the kernel sources are? Cause the .aps file from pac-man can't be built. Could you explain me please?

Rafael David Pérez
paul

Post by paul »

There's just one thing I can't understand... How can I point to where the kernel sources are? Cause the .aps file from pac-man can't be built. Could you explain me please?
You do so in the Makefile, which is itself located in the "default" folder. You can see near the top it has the line:

Code: Select all

KERNEL_DIR = ../kernel
Further down in the Makefile it uses KERNEL_DIR to include and compile necessary dependencies. Once it compiles the kernel, it then compiles pacman which relies on the kernel.

Currently, KERNEL_DIR is a relative path. It points to one directory up from "default" and then looks for a folder called "kernel". You can probably make it an absolute path (although I've never tried that) with something like:

Code: Select all

KERNEL_DIR = C:/RafaelDPerez/uzebox/kernel
Then the build tools will look there instead of one directory up from "default". The only reason I didn't include the kernel files is because I thought people might object to constantly downloading the kernel. In hindsight, that probably wasn't much of a problem and I should have just included it. I'll do that when I do a cleanup of all my uzebox stuff.

The attached zip includes the kernel folder and should build with no problems (it did for me). I will concede that there were a couple of redefined typedef's in the pacman download depending on which version of the kernel you built it against, so I have removed them in the attached zip file.
Attachments
pacman.zip
(193.89 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Paul,

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

Rafael David Pérez
RafaelDPerez

Post by RafaelDPerez »

Hello everybody,

I have a question. I haven't had any problems flashing the bootloader to my Atmega644. But I'm trying to flash the pac-man game only and it won't work. Could you help me and tell me how to flash a game to my microcontroller.

Thanks,

Rafael David Pérez
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Can you give more details on what steps you did and what was the problem or error you received?
JRoatch

Post by JRoatch »

I'm guessing you are flashing the ROM directly with the programmer rather than loading a game from an SDcard via the bootloader.

Sometimes when I flash a ROM directly, it also erases the bootloader, and I fix this by re-flashing the bootloader after flashing the ROM.
If you expect to be flashing the ROM directly more often then loading a game using the bootloader, you might want to set the fuse bits back to boot from the start of ROM.
paul

Post by paul »

Also, Pacman won't work with the bootloader - it's too big. I don't know what happens if you try to flash it, but I would expect some kind of space warning.

You'll need to get Pacman Lite for use with the bootloader.