Uzebox Quick Start

What is a Uzebox? How can I get one? Check here!
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzebox Quick Start

Post by uze6666 »

Here's what is expected. In the picture below is the continuity tests to do and the resistance measurements expected. Unplug power and ideally remove the ATmega before. Then plug power and confirm you have 3.3v on pin 4.
pcbtest.jpg
pcbtest.jpg (197.85 KiB) Viewed 19533 times
redcom001

Post by redcom001 »

There's no response between pin 6 on the atmega and pad 2 on the SD leads. All the others you noted give a reading. Is that my problem?

UPDATE: It was. I'll pop back in later after I test it out.
redcom001

Post by redcom001 »

I got the socket in correctly, but the bootloader still says no SD card and there is a flashing red line now.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Could you post a picture of it? This is really a strange problem, but I think it's still most likely a soldering problem. Did you try the UNO as an ISP to program .hex files directly? Does the game that came pre-programmed(megatris?) work correctly without any problems? If all connections are verified to be connected, the only possibilities are a bad '644(unlikely), a bad SD card(unlikely since you tested it), a bad SD socket(semi-likely if you desoldered and resoldered it) or you have the resistors in the wrong spot. Can't see what else it could be. A picture of the entire topside of the board could help to spot something.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Usually, if the red bar shows its good sign, it means the card has initialized. If the list is empty, it can't read the sectors or FAT for some reason. A couple things:
-insure the ISP is not connected
-apply power without the sd card, then insert the sd card
-reformat the card in FAT16 and re-add some UZE files
-Test with another SD card

If you still can't make it work, I can always try to repair it if you are willing to sent it to me with return paid. Send me a PM if you're interested.
redcom001

Post by redcom001 »

I finally got it to work, I had to hold in the SD card with a goodly amount of force for the list to populate. Is there a contact that's not touching when it "clicks" in?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Good!! I suspect there's a slight mismatch between the pins of the socket and the pads of the card. These cards are pretty cheap...
redcom001

Post by redcom001 »

New problem, it was working fine until today for no reason I can see. It will not work while an SD card is inserted, showing a blank screen, and gives the usual SD init fail when it isn't. I tried reformatting the card to no avail.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

As long as you have verified there is still electrical continuity to all the pins on the back of the SD socket, it seems apparent to me there is not much left beside a mechanical problem between the pins of the SD card and the pins of the socket. Did you ever try a different SD card that is 2gb or less? Clearly if you can format the card in question the pin alignment must be fairly close to standard for it to work with your PC.

IMHO, unfortunately, there is not much you can do besides get a new SD socket. I've never seen an SD card that had any apparent warping, but having to push very hard before to make it work says there is a contact issue. I was pretty new to soldering when I first started Uzebox, and like I said before I did over-cook an SD socket which wasn't apparent at first. My problem was I didn't understand how important it was to keep the tip clean and tinned with solder so the heat transfer works well...so I held it on too long and the plastic inside melted causing the pins to warp out of position. The soldering iron should probably touch each of those pins for 2 seconds max to complete the joint, and I wouldn't even risk doing them all in a row without a 20 second break in between(my failure made me a bit paranoid).