If only I could make this.

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
JRoatch

If only I could make this.

Post by JRoatch »

If I had somehow made a video mode that can draw shapes at the resolution of mode 3.
This would totally be the first game I'll make. :P
raceinggameidea.png
raceinggameidea.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Then after that a star-fox clone! :D

One of these days when I get back to devoting endless days of time programing the uzebox. :|
paul

Re: If only I could make this.

Post by paul »

I wonder if you could approximate it in vmode3. You could add a bit of texture to the road tiles and animate them relative to your ship's speed to simulate movement. You'd need maybe 5 different sprites of increasing size for each ship and then you'd base collision on both x and y axes positions. Some trees along the side of the road (again at a few size intervals) and it'd look a little choppy, but certainly playable, I reckon.

There's probably some other hacks/compromises you'd have to make, but it sounds somewhat feasible at a first glance.
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

I started writing one of these games in flash/as3 and if you were up to the challenge of writing your own video mode (specific for the game) you could quite possibly pull this off on the uzebox - although Im' not sure what resolution you'd be able to get :-p.

Ignoring sprites the actual background shouldn't be too hard:
  • You only have to render the track on half of the screen - the other half is sky
  • If you ignore textures you only need 2 colours, 1 for the grass and 1 for the road
  • If you pre-calculate where you need to swap colours at the beginning of each row there's very litle work to do per line for the background
  • You could use 2-colours on the grass and road in a similar way to the old games and simply change the colour according to the distance from the focal point/line, again - all of that could be pre-calculated
  • Because the sky is "empty", you could use a standard video mode to render tiles for the score.
The hardest part would be the 3d sprites - I think you'd have to pre-render all of these at set angles and also pre-render each one at various depths to avoid scaling. The rest of the calculations can come from a pre-samples sine-wave table and i can't see there being _that_ many calculations per frame to cause any issues.

I think the uzebox would be capable or close to capable of these types:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Nice! I'm pretty sure this can be done with a custom mode. Or even perhaps mode 2, since you could use screen sections. I'm wondering though, what is the general algorithm for the road?

-Uze
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

Theres a cool post in the game dev forums where a guy explains how he's half way through it:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... 1&#2462614

The link to his site, also has source code: http://members.allegro.cc/ThomasHarte/city.html
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

I like the bit about how it was originally done by wrapping the scan lines, if the grass is the same on either side you'd never notice that the right part of one side of the screen was on the left instead - nice idea.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I always wondered how it was done. Thanks for the link, I'll definitively have a look. Perhaps even work on a custom mode to implement such a game. :mrgreen:

-Uze
paul

Post by paul »

Yikes, who said anything about corners. You guys are gluttons for punishment :P

Man, I can still remember that Super Cycle tune - it was the best.
smith2287

Post by smith2287 »

It's very nice
you are looking hard work people in your field.
Nice to meet you.