AVR VGA system

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
DaveyPocket

AVR VGA system

Post by DaveyPocket »

Has anyone seen this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA53DvmLbho[/youtube]

This uses two AVR micro's and some other logic.
Look at those sprites, there huge!

Though the only thing I don't like about it is that it's not small, like the Uzebox :mrgreen:
steve.chamberlin

Re: AVR VGA system

Post by steve.chamberlin »

I saw the author discussing it earlier on fpga4fun.com, but I'm confused because I thought it used an FPGA to generate the video, and not two microcontrollers. I wonder if that video is an earlier prototype of the one he's building now.

http://www.lazarus64.com/
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

"Just plug in"

Ha, I remember when Genesis was around and everyone was always worried about inserting/removing catridges while the machine was on - even in the little booklet it was like the end of the world if you were to remove the cartridge while the system was on!!

Ah well, surely it's just an issue of de bouncing or whatever it's called; I guess SD cards and other removable media have ways and means.

Chris
lightfoot256

Post by lightfoot256 »

Yep; From what I've read elsewhere this is an FPGA implementation - I wouldn't mind getting some experience with FPGA at some point but atm I'm just too busy. Nice demo though.
paul

Post by paul »

lightfoot256 wrote:Yep; From what I've read elsewhere this is an FPGA implementation - I wouldn't mind getting some experience with FPGA at some point but atm I'm just too busy. Nice demo though.
We had to make tetris on a Spartan 3E Starter Kit last semester. It certainly forces a different way of thinking than I'm used to from software.