Donkey Kong VCS

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
uze6666
Site Admin

Donkey Kong VCS

Post by uze6666 »

A pretty impressive homebrew port of DK on the venerable Atari 2600 that I somehow missed! It was hard to believe, but there's a dicussion thread on its making at Atariage: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206497-dk-vcs/
D3thAdd3r

Re: Donkey Kong VCS

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The official DK2600 seemed ok considering, now it really looks like a joke comparatively. It seems like by showing less in the viewport at once and utilizing scrolling they are able to really multiplex the sprites and do some background "tile" trickery...beyond me how this can look/sound nearly like it was on NES :shock: I want to steal that title screen and Kong graphics for UzeboxDK
the_antithesis

Post by the_antithesis »

There have been some very impressive homebrewed games for the Atari VCS (2600 to you kids) lately. Amazing what almost four decades of programing knowledge can accomplish. Here's some of my favorites.

Panky the Panda
I forget this is an Atari game. It seems more like an NES game despite the blocky graphics and only one enemy at a time.

Space Rocks
Asteroids on the 2600 is a classic, but this one raises the bar even higher. But with 32K, it'd better.

Pac-Man 4K
If the Atari cartridge of Pac-man had been like this back in 1982, people would have been happier. Might have cause more problems in the long run for Atari, but no one would have complained about this game.

Princess Rescue
Ok, I don't like this one so much, but playing SMB on an Atari is novel to say the least.

Star Castle Arcade
The classic Atari game Yars' Revenge was developed as a port of the arcade game Star Castle. Changes were made because a direct port was considered impossible. Well, there has since been two homebrew ports of the game. One by former Atari employee D Scott Williamson. There was a bit of drama over that one, but this port is more accurate and playable IMO.

K.O. Cruiser
Punch-out for the Atari.

Ladybug
A Pac-man clone that has some nice features to make it fresh.

Dark Mage
This one is another one that is more novel to me. It's a text adventure. A text adventure on the Atari. They'll do anything just to see if they could.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

them be pretty good for a 2600

I particularly like Star Castle.

Someone should do a Uzebox port of it :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Star castle looks like a fun game and the SMB looks playable as well.

Those orbiting particles are so small, I don't understand how they could update sprite/ball/missile regs fast enough during the scanline. Definitely some clever precalculation going on and probably not a byte of ram to spare.