own uzebox contest?

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
schepers_cp

own uzebox contest?

Post by schepers_cp »

hi all, i'm wondering if members can create their own uzebox develop contest on these forums? :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: own uzebox contest?

Post by uze6666 »

Everything is possible, so sure they can...it can always become the official event :) ...what did you have in mind?
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

a game design event for this year, with a specific game genre in mind: real time strategy games :)

also, should i create a seperate topic for the contest itself? if so, in wich catogory?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Maybe a sub category in the UCC2014 if Uze is planing one again this year.

If he was going to do a UCC2104 I was going to offer up some prize for a novice/junior section

Novice/Junior can still win the open section, but none of the experienced programmers can win the novice prize.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

schepers_cp wrote:real time strategy games
Heh, I've always kind of wondered what kind of RTS game we could pull off with so little ram. Sounds hard and limited but could be interesting stuff too.

It would be neat to have UCC2014 if it works out; I will probably have to sit this one out but I'd be willing to sponsor some part of it. I have really wanted to do some team development but so far no takers, maybe an interesting angle on the competition?
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

well, it is do-able to create a rts game with the uzebox's ram, but it won't be easy, also, i can sponsor too~
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I have really wanted to do some team development but so far no takers, maybe an interesting angle on the competition?
Well I could make up the insane ASM programmer part of a team if someone else did graphics and sound :)
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

i wish i could program in asm.. :(
but i can do very simple art like this if needed:
map jpg.jpg
map jpg.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

You don't need ASM programming to do a good game.

I think 1st and 2nd place in last years competition probably did not do any ASM at all.

I think you would have to do ASM to pull of your RTS idea if you needed to store the map on SD card.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

So there seems to be interest in a UCC2014 after all eh?! 8-) I don't have much loot for prizes this year (~400$) but I can always provide hardware...of the Uzebox type or perhaps some other cool electronic kits? I'm open to suggestions, if there's other contributor for prizes I'm all for it. We should launch it quickly then...I'll make the artwork, rules etc within a week or so. If we can come up with a special theme/angle this year, the better. I'll need help to broadcast on social networks. Shoot your ideas!