Mame cab build.

Share unrelated electronics stuff, ideas, rants, etc!
D3thAdd3r

Re: Mame cab build.

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Looks great, you made me want to build a cabinet
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Progress is moving slowly. This time instead of the cold slowing me down its the artist (my wife.) I'm waiting on her to finish up some of the decals, I don't want to install the joysticks and buttons twice but I may have to so I can start testing my controls out and start configuring some of the software.

Anyway I started pre-wiring some of what I could the other day. I'm trying to use whatever I have around the house for this build so I only have to put a minimum of money into it. That is why I am using CAT 5e for the positives and #14 solid for the ground. Here are some pics. I have a lot of the wood work done but not enough to post any pics (it just looks like two boxes.)
Attachments
PosWire.jpg
PosWire.jpg (123.28 KiB) Viewed 63064 times
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Yesterday and today I was busy wiring up the positives to the minimus AVRs, as well as, mounting and testing the cold cathode lighting for the underside of the control panel. I went with Yellow and Green cathodes to match the buttons I chose. The work on the bottom side of the control box is a tad un-professional but no one will ever see it unless they go out of their way to look. I have another set of cathodes for the marquee for later. One thing the photo doesn't show well is that the green cathode is much brighter than they yellow, but for the price I paid for these I won't complain. It will give my cab a nice neon glow to it.
Attachments
MinimusPos.jpg
MinimusPos.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 63027 times
CCTest.jpg
CCTest.jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 63022 times
greenpower

Post by greenpower »

hpglow's arcade is glowing :D Your design looks great. I hope to see it fully assembled in the near future :)
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

greenpower wrote:hpglow's arcade is glowing :D Your design looks great. I hope to see it fully assembled in the near future :)
It is going well unfortunatly very slow due to time and other things. I decided at one point that I wanted a plexi pannel to protect the decals on the contol pannel but since the decals still aren't finished and I don't want to assemble thing twice.

I have some friends riding my ass as well to get this thing done so we can get some Xmen vs Streetfighter on.

When I get to sit in front of a real computer I will post some new pics.
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Since I intend on using a Raspberry Pi here are some shots of mods I did to turn a cheap un-powered hub into a powered one to back-feed the R Pi. Plus then all the peripherals won't be stressing the 700ma poly-fuse on the R Pi. I'm hoping the R Pi will play at least 95% of the games I want to play otherwise I will end up dropping in a mini ITX PC board. unfortunately, many of the pics of the build right now are just plain un-interesting.
Attachments
USBhub2.jpg
USBhub2.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 62948 times
USBhub1.jpg
USBhub1.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 62940 times
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Right now the stats of the project is:

Fabrication 90%
Software 60%
Assembly 20%

So there should be a chain of updates this week and next. In about two weeks it should look almost complete.
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

So today I decided to start assembling some of the pre-fabricated work I had made even though the decals are still not finished. Up until this point many of the delays to my build have been due to outside forces like art and pneumonia. Today I forgot to do some subtraction and the top part of my cab is exactly 1.5" too wide so I had to take it apart and once my daughter wakes up from her afternoon nap I will have to cut it, and the re-glue and screw it. This will give me some opportunity to correct a couple workmanship issues that I may have ignored otherwise, but it will cost me about 2 hours.
Attachments
monitor1.jpg
monitor1.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 62895 times
monitor2.jpg
monitor2.jpg (126.58 KiB) Viewed 62883 times
MonEnclosure.jpg
MonEnclosure.jpg (130 KiB) Viewed 62889 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Good steady progress, keep posting! :D
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

Today I corrected my mis-calculation and trimmed all the wood. I found out that to a couple of girls working or not this thing is fun. And then finally I put on the long awaited decals and screwed in some buttons and bolted down some joysticks. Yes, the right stick is a tad off I will correct later.
Attachments
Child2.jpg
Child2.jpg (149.38 KiB) Viewed 62880 times
pannelNearFinal.jpg
pannelNearFinal.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 62872 times