Uzeify Images (photoshop tutorial)

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
MoxyFruzy

Uzeify Images (photoshop tutorial)

Post by MoxyFruzy »

It may just be me but I find it hard to make images and tiles for the uzebox using the right colours. Uze gave me a great idea on how to get around this which is to make your image using regularly and then have photoshop change the colours to Uzebox friendly colours. I have therefore made a quick tutorial on how to uzeify your images.

first make your image:
Screen Shot1
Screen Shot1
uze1.png (41.01 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Now GoTo Image > Mode > Indexed Color..

In the box that appears select the option "custom" in the palette drop down box.

Select the load option. Now load this palette:
uze.act.zip
I had to put it in a zip to attach it
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
You can then Ok everything and tada! Photoshop has re-drawn your image using only the 256 colours that the Uzebox can display. Now all you have to do is tweak it to improve the image.
Screen Shot2
Screen Shot2
uze5.png (36.31 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
Im a bit of an 8-Bit Freak...
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Uzeify Images (photoshop tutorial)

Post by uze6666 »

Thanks for the tutorial! Btw, the convertion sometime make the resulting image a bit bland (as we can see here). One thing I often do to counter this is cranking a bit the brightness and contrast just before the conversion.

-Uze
digitalicarus

Post by digitalicarus »

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... h_gconvert

Other GIMP usefulness...

- Follow the instructions on the Twiki to convert the image and import the palette
- Image -> view Grid
- Image -> configure Grid (set to 8x8 for mode 3)
- http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-palette-dialog.html get to palette dialog
- After the palette has been imported above you can select it by finding it and double clicking it in the palette dialog
- Once it's selected you can also find it in the fg or bg color dialog by clicking the palette tab (next to last) http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-dialog ... lor-dialog

Now you can touch up / draft your image with Uze-y colors.

All of this info should probably be in the Twiki :D
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

All of this info should probably be in the Twiki :D
Agreed, be my guest! ;) Anyone can register and contribute stuff and the more we have, the better!

To make life easier when making graphics from scratch, I was thinking that Photoshop swatches could come handy (don't know if they have an equivalent in GIMP). It's some kind of "favorite colors" view that can be organized the way you want. We could hence put gradients of the same color contiguously instead of spread all over the fixed Uzebox palette.

-Uze