Introducing the Uzebox Vector Object Plotter!

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
stache

Introducing the Uzebox Vector Object Plotter!

Post by stache »

Hey Guys,

I'm working on my first vector game for the Uzebox and was finding it tedious entering the cartesian and polar coordinates by hand, so I decided to make a little app to help! So far it's really made creating and editing objects a breeze, so I thought I would release it to the masses in hopes that maybe someone else would benefit from it as well. Here's the link to the source and binaries on github. Right now it only runs on Windows, and requires a fairly updated version of the .Net runtime. It's obviously still in "beta" and I have to admit the code is not as tidy as I would like, since it was made in haste to be more of an aid than an example of great coding practices :lol: . There's a read me file in the root directory, although hopefully it's fairly straight forward to use. Anyway, hopefully it can help someone.
Jon Thomasson
CunningFellow

Re: Introducing the Uzebox Vector Object Plotter!

Post by CunningFellow »

cool.

I couldn't get it to run guess I'm not all (dot)netted up.

So far I have just used a spreadsheet to do all my polar/cartesian conversions. It can plot pictures for you as well. Picture attached
Attachments
The spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet.
DemonSpread.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I made a little space ship and had all the coordinates I would need to use it in a game within 1 minute of starting the application. Handy tool with a perfect interface. It makes the idea of attempting a vector game less intimidating. The only thing I would suggest is making a line from your last point to your current cursor position so that complex shapes are a bit easier to draw accurately.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Cool! Are you using CunningFellow's latest engine? Or last year's one for the Asteroids game? For sure the latest and greatest code from Tornado 2000 will have to become the new baseline for mode 6 (or some new vector mode).

Btw, could not run it either, got some "invalid instruction" error.
stache

Post by stache »

Thanks guys, sorry it's not working for everyone. I'll try it on a few more machines and see if I get that error. So far I've had success on Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. It might just be that I need to target a different version of the .net run time for different machines. That's a great suggestion D3thAdd3r! I'll see if I can incorporate that in the next build. I'm just using the video mode 6 engine that CunningFellow created for the Asteroids game. I'm pretty excited about the new engine though, hopefully I can convert my game over to use that one when it comes out.
Jon Thomasson