Packrom.exe problem

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
Roukan

Packrom.exe problem

Post by Roukan »

Hi There

I've been setting up my Windows 7 development environment to get started on some coding for the Uzebox.

I can successfully compile to a ".HEX" file and run this fine in Uzem emulator :D

One thing I noticed as part of the "MAKE" process was it was failing to execute "PACKROM.EXE", I soon sorted this out as it was not in a directory referenced in the "PATH".

After copying it to a relevant directory, i now get the following error:

The program cannot start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer.

This file does not exist on my computer, and if I do put a copy of it in the same directory as "PACKROM.EXE" it then complains about another file missing ...stopped at this point as I'm not going to keep d/l individual files as things will just get messy.

I'm under the impression I must be missing some C runtime environment or something along these lines.

I'm a real C novice but is it not possible to have the runtime stuff statically linked to a small command line tool like this?

Whilst this is not a major problem atm (I don't have a Uzebox yet - so no desperate need for .UZE file), I would like to get it sorted out.

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Janka

Re: Packrom.exe problem

Post by Janka »

Packrom is only required to create .uze images. You need these if you want to put multiple games on a SD card and flash them through the built-in bootloader of the uzebox. The Uzem emulator accepts .hex files, too, so comment out the line in the makefile requiring packrom.

If you really want to sort it out, yes you have to put the mingw runtime somewhere in the path. Just throw the libraries in the same directory as packrom.exe and there you go. If you want to go with a static executable, I think you have to compile it yourself (and need even more stuff to do that).
I'm a real C novice but is it not possible to have the runtime stuff statically linked to a small command line tool like this?
That would mean to have the same megabytes of code put into each of the small utilities which makes them something other than small.
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Hi Janka

Thanks for the reply:
Janka wrote:Packrom is only required to create .uze images. You need these if you want to put multiple games on a SD card and flash them through the built-in bootloader of the uzebox. The Uzem emulator accepts .hex files, too, so comment out the line in the makefile requiring packrom.
True I don't need them yet so I'll comment it out for now and add back once I sort it out as I will need it in future.
Janka wrote:If you really want to sort it out, yes you have to put the mingw runtime somewhere in the path. Just throw the libraries in the same directory as packrom.exe and there you go. If you want to go with a static executable, I think you have to compile it yourself (and need even more stuff to do that).
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I shall look into this over the next few days.
Janka wrote:Roukan: I'm a real C novice but is it not possible to have the runtime stuff statically linked to a small command line tool like this?
That would mean to have the same megabytes of code put into each of the small utilities which makes them something other than small.
Good point, I didn't realise they would add so much to the EXE file - Learn something new every day :oops:

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Hi All

Finally got around to installing MinGW and Packrom is working great as part of my Make process now.

Just like to give a big thumbs up to the Author(s) of Packrom / Gconvert / Midiconv / Uzem etc., as they make the drawing board to big screen process so much smoother/faster than having to do all this stuff by hand / trial and error.

Keep up the great work all involved :)

Cheers

Roukan / Jim
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Great news! :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

lordkerward wrote:Hi guys, Im facing another problem just related to Packrom.exe and there's another one conflicted pop.up..
just wonder what's its problem, can anyone help me out here?
Can you describe the problem you are facing with more details?
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

lordkerward wrote:Hi guys, Im facing another problem just related to Packrom.exe and there's another one conflicted pop.up..
just wonder what's its problem, can anyone help me out here?
If I recall correctly I got a 2nd missing file error I think it was:

libstdc++-6.dll

I just downloaded a copy and placed it along with the previously mentioned file in the BIN folder where PACKROM.EXE resides.

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

Roukan / Jim