.NET apps on Linux

Topics on software tools like TileStudio, comments on documentation and tutorials (or the lack of) should go here.
uze6666
Site Admin

.NET apps on Linux

Post by uze6666 »

I didn't want to hijack Davepocket's thread on his GUI based .UZE editor so here's a thread to discuss cross-platform .NET development.

I was always put back to do GUI tools for the Uzebox because of the pain of cross-platform development. But now with MONO it seems to be a very good solution. I have started with a simple Hello World WinForm app compiled in VisualStudio.NET on Windows (using .NET 2.0 profile) . With MONO installed on Ubuntu, I launched the app and sure enough it worked just like a native app! :D
mono.png
mono.png (97.15 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
So that's a good start. I'll have to find up to what profile it works and see if I can port the map tool I'm working on.

-Uze
Karl_A

Re: .NET apps on Linux

Post by Karl_A »

I got very good results with mono, I have a map editor I wrote for a different microcontroller project, it may be a good starting point for you if you want it.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I got very good results with mono, I have a map editor I wrote for a different microcontroller project, it may be a good starting point for you if you want it.
Well, sure! I'm still ramping up on C# and looking for all tricks and ideas about manipulating graphics in .NET. You can PM me the sources or post them in this thread. My goal is to make a simple map tool with a simple map engine aimed at the lowest possible map sizes. I don't want to re-invent the wheel and make a game engine since Platz already does that very well.

-Uze
emch

Post by emch »

Hi there !

I don't know if it will interest you however I heard recently of the SFML library for C# which seems to look like SDL in terms of graphics management. I don't know anything about its portability.
Sorry I can't help you more but it will perhaps give you an idea, who knows?
:D

All the best,
emch
Cheers!
emch / F4GTL
Currently writing a EUzebox-from-scratch tutorial/ebook.
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I remember using a Visual Studio equivalent on Mac way back called Real Studio by Real Software: http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/

Apparently it seems like it is able to build the applications for multiple platforms while on a single platform.