New Game Idea: Tower Defense

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
ry755

Re: New Game Idea: Tower Defense

Post by ry755 »

Nice! Alternating the background color should work as long as you can do it fast enough.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I had some time to catch up and I must say the gameplay sounds like fun. I hope it is feasible to be multiplayer since that is always popular. The artwork you are posting is also top notch, so I am excited to see where this goes.
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

It will be multiplayer; co-op instead of competitive.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

What about color 0xF7 for background?

That would be somwthing like this:
█████████████████████████████████████████████

Quite close, I think. There is a Uzebox palette on the wiki (link. Mode 72 by the way can also do a gradient background like that used in Flight of a Dragon, you may color every line different if you want. I wouldn't suggest alternating as on such a large surface it would wear the eyes. If you want to, I think use reloading the background color on every scanline feature, and use an alternating interlaced pattern (so at least every frame on average has the same intensity, less strain on the eyes).
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

Jubatian wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:00 pm What about color 0xF7 for background?

That would be somwthing like this:
█████████████████████████████████████████████

Quite close, I think. There is a Uzebox palette on the wiki (link. Mode 72 by the way can also do a gradient background like that used in Flight of a Dragon, you may color every line different if you want. I wouldn't suggest alternating as on such a large surface it would wear the eyes. If you want to, I think use reloading the background color on every scanline feature, and use an alternating interlaced pattern (so at least every frame on average has the same intensity, less strain on the eyes).
Yes, good idea with the alternating rows. I will try that colour again (it seems just a bit saturated, and I found the other colours too difficult to pair with it) and that idea when I test it out on a larger screen, probably near the end of development when I feel like doing the fun little tweaks. For now, I've also managed to make good use of the text bars for UI menus :D
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

Progress shot :)

The complex logic of cursor navigation around buildings, as well as building each type of building is done. There are friendly error messages for invalid placement, not enough money, not enough building space, etc. Each player has their own message space at the bottom. Tower roof tips are automatically computed when the tiles are changed (they only show if there is enough space). Two player cursors and upgrade menu should be an easy addition. Nearly ready to start adding waves of enemies and weapon types! I feel confident that I have plenty of room to spare for tower types, X and Y scrolling, and hopefully music + sound!
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

That's looking real sharp! Nice work.
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Nice, I like how you are handling the minimalistic pixel-art here!

How are you dealing with text by the way? Just asking. I guess you added an ASCII => PETSCII conversion function to make it easier to add strings.

How it is going with the background tileset, and in general, ROM usage?
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

Jubatian wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am Nice, I like how you are handling the minimalistic pixel-art here!

How are you dealing with text by the way? Just asking. I guess you added an ASCII => PETSCII conversion function to make it easier to add strings.

How it is going with the background tileset, and in general, ROM usage?
Thanks. Correct about the conversion function :)
Tileset is minimal so far so ROM usage is good - from memory around 65 percent.
rocifier

Post by rocifier »

Hi guys I am ready to animate the waves of enemies for City in the Sky, but I need some inspiration! Remember most of them will be 8x8 and 3 colours. Taking ideas, especially around a theme to follow!