Iros

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
L4rry

Re: Iros

Post by L4rry »

So I've updated the wiki page and marked it as released in the games & demo list. For now I've used the uzebox logo (def_thumb.png) for the template and game list images until we can upload images again.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Release v1.7 is out. I've increased the knight shield by 10 units and decreased the player shield by 5 units for better balancing.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hopefully Alec will notice soon, this seems ready for a news announcement on the front page.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Release 1.8 is now available

- Knight AI can now utilize lying prone as a strategy. This makes for a much more interesting boss battle.
- Removed Uzebox intro to free up flash for planned future expansions.
D3thAdd3r wrote:Hopefully Alec will notice soon, this seems ready for a news announcement on the front page.
Yup, I think this is my last release for the foreseeable future, even though I think I might have said this 3 releases ago too :D
I've covered all remaining bugs and balancing issues that's still been bothering me.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I've updated the online version to the latest v1.8.

Great job!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hi guys,

:oops: is all i can say for not replying earlier. Jubatian brought to my attention a problem with the wiki upload feature (you actually have to modify a .php file to activate it!). That was corrected so you can freely upload anything you need now.

For the game, two thumbs up! As many mentioned the music is awesome, truly love it, it's a truly platformer sounding track. Eh, for me its as catchy as turrican was IHMO. :D Graphics, music and action is really nice and feels so unique to the Uzebox! A silly question, sorry if it was answered in the thread, but you developed your own platformer engine or used somethings like Platz?

Btw, I am publishing news about the about it right now!! Sorry for the little delay! :oops:
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Thanks! No worries about the late reply. Sometimes life happens :) Nice to see you on the forum!
uze6666 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:01 am A silly question, sorry if it was answered in the thread, but you developed your own platformer engine or used somethings like Platz?
It's all custom code. I wouldn't go so far as to even calling it an engine. Just many hacks over many weekends and alot of coffee, beer and hair pulling :mrgreen:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

After playing more , just my 2 cents :) :

1. The music is awesome! Adding a percussion track, though, would really kick ass for such a game.

2. It's very surprising that the player get stuck on the ground when you press down. Based on most games it would seems more intuitive to me if the player gets back up when you release the down button.

3. A more 'Mario-like' jump curve would make the game much more quick and intuitive.

In any cases, making a platformer and it's game engine is no piece of cake, so Kudos!! :mrgreen:
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

uze6666 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 am 1. The music is awesome! Adding a percussion track, though, would really kick ass for such a game.
I hear you! If you listen to the original song from Tanner Helland you'll notice it's got a pretty epic beat to it. I took the song and filtered and edited the tracks down to what would fit in reasonable flash space and didn't sound too noisy on the Uzebox. I couldn't quite get the beats to translate nicely. My insight into the various sound channels on the uzebox isn't that great. Was my first stab at music editing on the platform and after experimenting a bit, what I ended up with sounded the cleanest and looped quite nicely. (PS. Here's the original in midi format.
uze6666 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 am 2. It's very surprising that the player get stuck on the ground when you press down. Based on most games it would seems more intuitive to me if the player gets back up when you release the down button.
Something different, I know :) Very much a feature of the 'Solar Warrior' game that inspired this.
uze6666 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 am 3. A more 'Mario-like' jump curve would make the game much more quick and intuitive.
I went through various jumping curves and platform heights during development. In the end, I decided on the current feel after having to get rid of using floating point numbers for my physics because it's too slow and takes up too much memory (and even flash space). So I'm using integer calculations with frame counting for precision. And it's not very precise as a result. It seemed a good balance in the end.
uze6666 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:03 am In any cases, making a platformer and it's game engine is no piece of cake, so Kudos!! :mrgreen:
Thanks! Finding out how a scrolling platformer works was entirely the purpose of doing this game in the first place. Doing something I've never done before but have always wanted to try :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I went through various jumping curves and platform heights during development. In the end, I decided on the current feel after having to get rid of using floating point numbers for my physics because it's too slow and takes up too much memory (and even flash space). So I'm using integer calculations with frame counting for precision. And it's not very precise as a result. It seemed a good balance in the end.
Have you thought about using fixed point arithmetic? It's quite fast, easy to use and take next to no extra flash. :)