B.C. Dash

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
nebososo

Re: B.C. Dash

Post by nebososo »

Don't forget you can use it with the bootloader, if you have that already programmed.

YEY, I GOT A CHEAP DAPA PROGRAMMER TO WORK. I tried this the whole weekend, now I tried without the resistors and it worked. I'm gonna go to the living room where I have a NTSC compatible TV, but I'm looking at the B&W game right now. Will post my new under 2min high score soon.
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

Great Game.... it is difficult though...

Here's an Uze file for the bootloader Uzers.

>J
Attachments
bcdash2.uze
(60.47 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
paul

Post by paul »

YEY, I GOT A CHEAP DAPA PROGRAMMER TO WORK. I tried this the whole weekend, now I tried without the resistors and it worked. I'm gonna go to the living room where I have a NTSC compatible TV, but I'm looking at the B&W game right now. Will post my new under 2min high score soon.
Good to hear and good luck with the 2min barrier :)
Here's an Uze file for the bootloader Uzers.
Thanks, Jhysaun.

I might just add recording and re-recording (TAS-videos) to the emulator just to see how fast B.C. Dash can be completed.
I'd never heard of TAS-videos but it's a great idea. I think that would add a lot to the fun by seeing just how close you can get to a perfect run.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

OK, I got a new record and a couple of suggestions.

Record first:

I know I can still improve I a lot, I'm just missing some really easy jumps and still have to figure out a way to get faster through the part where you have to go back if you miss the jump.

Suggestions:

- I noticed that I usually run into a wall or something when scrolling through the items, I guess it would be easier if we used a different button for each item. I think that L for speed, R for float (you usually need these two faster than the others), X for coin, Y (or B) for dragonfly would work great.

- Why don't you save the name on the EEPROM? Everytime I open the game, I have to change it. If you're already using all the 30bytes, I guess that setting the name as the one top of the rank would work.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

1:58, that's fast!
X for coin
What? Coins does something?
Why don't you save the name on the EEPROM? Everytime I open the game, I have to change it. If you're already using all the 30bytes, I guess that setting the name as the one top of the rank would work.
I agree on that one too. Could be displayed permanently at the title screen or status bar.

-Uze
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

uze6666 wrote:
X for coin
What? Coins does something?
Yes, it gives you itens, I always use it if I miss the jump that makes you have to go back, if you get an egg, that's quite some time saved.

EDIT: quotefail and I forgot to say you need 5 of 'em to use it and it gives you one of each item.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

EDIT: quotefail and I forgot to say you need 5 of 'em to use it and it gives you one of each item.
Aahh I see. I have an idea to make another strategic twist. When completing the level why not have unused coins decrease the time by a few seconds each?

-Uze
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

uze6666 wrote:
Aahh I see. I have an idea to make another strategic twist. When completing the level why not have unused coins decrease the time by a few seconds each?

-Uze
Oh, I thought you knew they already do that.

BTW:
I got a new record, I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 1:15, maybe 1:10. But that's enough BC Dash for today, I'm gonna start working on my game.
paul

Post by paul »

I got a new record, I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 1:15, maybe 1:10.
1:19... that's freakin' crazy! Well done! I've added my best time now that it's been beaten (destroyed?). Btw, I appreciate the photo evidence, but I think having it as a requirement may discourage people from participating. It's a pretty friendly and honest community with not a hell of a lot to gain from cheating. Also, one could easily edit the code to slow time down or something, so there's not a whole lot to gain from it. I did consider displaying some kind of code that you could submit for verification, but with source available (and very few bytes to spare) I think it would have been a waste. I could keep the code generation source separate. I'll consider some kind of method of proof for my update, but it'd need to be decent or it'll just encourage folks to break it.

Anyway, I can't see 1:19 being beaten any time soon. :shock:

But that's enough BC Dash for today, I'm gonna start working on my game.
Great, keep us updated.
I noticed that I usually run into a wall or something when scrolling through the items, I guess it would be easier if we used a different button for each item. I think that L for speed, R for float (you usually need these two faster than the others), X for coin, Y (or B) for dragonfly would work great.
Hmm, I could look into doing something like that. Of course, making it easier may put your record in jeopardy ;)
Why don't you save the name on the EEPROM? Everytime I open the game, I have to change it. If you're already using all the 30bytes, I guess that setting the name as the one top of the rank would work.
Y'know, I was thinking of doing that when coding it, but I guess I just ran out of space. I store the current name and time in a separate variable atm, but if I just add it to the best times array, I could probably do so without spending anymore bytes. I think I only have 36 bytes to spare, so any changes will be slight unless I remove the moon graphic or find space somewhere else. I'll add these suggestions to my update list and see if I can fit the ones I agree with in.

Sorry if some of the details of the game were mentioned cryptically on the wiki post. It's done in a light-humored manner (maybe stressing the light side of things? ;) ) and I can see how it might be confusing. But spending or saving those coins should be a huge decision. Also remember that any poison time remaining at the finish line will add to your time. Sometimes a seemingly harmless poison that taxes you (removes a coin) can be the worst kind of poison; like if it takes you from 5 to 4 coins :( So if you have 5 coins, getting that 6th can be a nice buffer.

Uze, have you got a best time or should I go with the default? :P Another oddity of B.C. Dash is when you get to 9:99, you will roll over to 9:00. This is to save flash (every byte counted). I decided that if your best is 10:00+, then you needed all the help you could get ;)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Uze, have you got a best time or should I go with the default? :P
I managed something around 2:20 yesterday...But I ain't sure, will confirm that.

-Uze