New Game: Zombienator!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
JRoatch

Re: New Game: Zombienator!

Post by JRoatch »

This is a such a cool game. I especially love the sound effects.

I'm going to drop my current project and make a game right away, and I'll leave the hard stuff to our kernel gurus. :)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

EDIT: This flickering problem has nothing to do with my PAL-tv not being able to interpret the NTSC-signal properly, has it? It only affects video mode 2 on newer kernels, video mode 1 and 3 work just fine.
It has indeed something to do with you PAL TV having a hard time with non-standard NTSC signal. Now exactly what is causing this is hard to say. So to recap, video mode 1 & 3 of kernel 3 works fine on your TV, but not mode 2? If so, I'll have to look at both signal on my scope to see what is going on.
Sprite flickering: I've tried to enable it, but isn't it only available in kernelbeta3 onwards?
IIRC, it's supposed to be part of kernel V2. Try enabling it with:

Code: Select all

SetSpritesOptions(SPR_OVERFLOW_ROTATE);
I've got the same problems with other video mode 2 programs that use a later kernel (Arkanoid and SpriteDemo 2 for example).
Btw, which Arkanoid do you mean? Because the full game, uses video mode 3.

-uze
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

OMG I just play this game and it is amazing. This is the reason I wish the Uzebox had TCP/IP support.

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
Phog

Post by Phog »

uze6666:
Video Mode 1 and 3 work fine in all kernels, video mode 2 doesn't work in kernelbeta3 onwards.

SetSpriteOptions doesn't seem to work:

Code: Select all

zombienator.c:87: warning: implicit declaration of function 'SetSpritesOptions'
zombienator.c:87: error: 'SPR_OVERFLOW_ROTATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
SPR_OVERFLOW_ROTATE isn't even defined in defines.h for me. My guess is that kernelbeta2 doesn't support sprite flickering.

Oh and whoops! Arkanoid does use video mode 3. After trying it again I found out that it doesn't work in a different kind of way. The uzebox boots, I get the title screen, but as soon as I press start the entire screen goes black and the uzebox hangs.
I'm starting to think that I've got some kind of hardware problem...

Jhysaun:
Yeah, online multiplayer would be awesome! :D

Btw:
Do you guys think deathmatch would be a better idea than the cooperative mode I use in zombienator right now?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

SPR_OVERFLOW_ROTATE isn't even defined in defines.h for me. My guess is that kernelbeta2 doesn't support sprite flickering.
Oh, kernelbeta2? I missed that one. It's older than we have in the the Trunk right now! Indeed it's quite possible it was not in there. Geez what was different then? Does it have an overlay or screen sections?
Oh and whoops! Arkanoid does use video mode 3. After trying it again I found out that it doesn't work in a different kind of way. The uzebox boots, I get the title screen, but as soon as I press start the entire screen goes black and the uzebox hangs.
I'm starting to think that I've got some kind of hardware problem..
:shock: eeehh...weird. Are you using a Fuzebox with the FTDI cable or do you have an ISP programmer? Or in other words, do you use the bootloader?
Do you guys think deathmatch would be a better idea than the cooperative mode I use in zombienator right now?
I like the coop mode, but why not both? Also I was thinking about some other cool weapons like grenades, land mines and...a flame thrower. A zombie on fire could propagate to others if they get too close. :mrgreen:

-uze
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

grenades, land mines and...a flame thrower.
I was thinking that too. A lightsaber would be cool too. :D

>J
Lerc wrote:I intend to use my powerful skills of procrastination to ensure that when I get to making things, the chips will be available.
Phog

Post by Phog »

uze6666:
Kernelbeta2 uses an overlay. And I use the bootloader (with an FTDI cable).
Wait, does the newer kernels use screen sections? As in split-screen mode is possible?

More weapons is a must. Why do you guys think the L-button is unused? :P
But how much more content can I fit onto the remaining ~6kb of memory? How much space does a song take?
Jhysaun

Post by Jhysaun »

Wait, does the newer kernels use screen sections? As in split-screen mode is possible?
Not Quite. Sorry. Im going to write a guide to Mode 2 Screen Sections (im trying to write a tutorial a day this sumer) so go and check the wiki later tonight.

But how much more content can I fit onto the remaining ~6kb of memory?
Memory or Program Space? I can't believe you game uses all the program space.

>J
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Kernelbeta2 uses an overlay. And I use the bootloader (with an FTDI cable).
Aaaah, that could explain a lot regarding mode 3. The fuzebox bootloader eats the upper 4K of the '644 memory. So Arkanoid and other 'big' roms will usually cause problems because if some of it's code is located in this region, it will not be written while flashing. That's because there is some fuse that prevents overwriting the bootloader area. That indeed can causes seemingly random crashes. I'm a bit to blame in this regard because we said we should reserve at least 4K for the upcoming official Uzebox bootloader. :? If you would have an ISP programmer (the native way of programming AVRs) I'm pretty sure Arkanoid and other mode 3 games(like Pac-Man) would work fine.

-uze
paul

Post by paul »

Pacman-lite should run fine. And if you want to save some flash on Zombienator for more weapons etc, the graveyard lends itself well to the fill instructions method (outlined in the Sonic post). You could probably get that graveyard_map down from 10k to less than 1k.