New Game: Pac-Man!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
paul

New Game: Pac-Man!

Post by paul »

hi guys,

This is my first Uzebox game (hopefully first of many to come!). It's a fun little system to work on. The game is complete, but any bug reports are welcome ;)
A HUGE thanks to Uze for the song that plays at the start of a new game; the intermission song; and the eat ghost sfx. Oh, and for the many times I asked him to test it on his Uzebox. So far I have only been using David's incredible emulator because I have yet to build my Uzebox (parts coming soon!).

I tried to model the game after an arcade machine to some extent. Game rules and ghost AI are faithful to the original. Much more information about Pac-Man can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~jpittman2/pacm ... ssier.html

Let me know your thoughts on game difficulty. It becomes much easier to play when you know how the ghosts think and what restrictions are placed on them.

Controls (emulator/snes):

Move: arrow keys/Up,Down,Left,Right
Insert Coin: a/A - you must pay to play :lol:
Start Game: Enter/Start
Toggle BG sound: s/B

Source code is included. To rebuild, you will need to place the beta4 kernel folder within the src folder at the same level as pacman.c (or alter the makefile). If you wish to view the intermissions without playing through, then you can set INTERMISSION_LOOP to 1 in the makefile. The hex is also included for those who just wish to play.

I hope you enjoy the game!

Paul

Edit: Pacman-lite (only 56.6k) available at: http://code.google.com/p/uzebox-paul/downloads/list

ImageImage
Attachments
pacman.zip
(90.76 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Last edited by paul on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: New Game: Pac-Man!

Post by uze6666 »

I must confess it's one the best Uzebox game done so far. The music, fxs & gameplay are truly faithful to the original. Awesome work! :mrgreen:

Also, he's the first to use the EEPROM functions as high scores are preserved!

Uze

ps: Hey guys, give a bit of feedback, it's a lot of work doing a game like this, I'm sure you all know! :)
steve.chamberlin

Post by steve.chamberlin »

Wow, looks fantastic! I just received the parts to build my Uzebox, and I'll definitely give Pac-Man a try!
TonyD

Post by TonyD »

Pacman looks great Paul, a great bit of coding

- Tony
JRoatch

Post by JRoatch »

This version of pacman is so cool. It feels very much like the arcade.

I like how you used the save feature. Though, I thought the latest version of the emulator that can handle EEPROM was in the svn. (maybe I'm using the svn checkout incorrectly?)

The link to information of pacman was an interesting read too.
pragma

Post by pragma »

Paul, I'm going to wind up using your .hex image to debug my branch of the emulator - it appears I broke something you're using. That said, I'm very excited to see how this port plays on my hardware at home. :D

You're not reading the EEPROM right after the Uzebox logo screen, are you?
JRoatch

Post by JRoatch »

The emulator attached in the thread which is v1.09 works, but my checked out version (witch I believe was in beta4) is 1.07 according to it's help screen.
I think it might be my fault.
paul

Post by paul »

hi guys,

I'm glad people are enjoying Uzebox Pac-Man! I did all development on v1.09 of the emulator and did not have any problems with it.
You're not reading the EEPROM right after the Uzebox logo screen, are you?
I call my LoadHighScore() function fairly early on in main(). This function will either load a block from a formatted EEPROM or it will format an unformatted EEPROM and then try to load the Pac-Man block (which I just realised is dumb because it only just formatted it!). I'm not sure when program flow is grabbed by the kernel to display the Uzebox logo, but it would have to be before the initial ghost introduction screen, as the high score is displayed there.

I'm happy to make any changes to accommodate newer versions of the emulator.
paul

Post by paul »

So I just updated the LoadHighScore() function in SVN and I noticed that the emulator prints out eeprom access notifications directly after the Uzebox logo and right before the ghost intro screen.
pragma

Post by pragma »

paul wrote:So I just updated the LoadHighScore() function in SVN and I noticed that the emulator prints out eeprom access notifications directly after the Uzebox logo and right before the ghost intro screen.
Thanks! This is just freaking awesome. A truly faithful rendition of a classic.

Like an idiot, I just noticed you also provided the source. You may have just saved me a lot of trouble. :)