New Game: Pac-Man!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Harty123

Re: New Game: Pac-Man!

Post by Harty123 »

martinsustek wrote: What do you think about the idea of Ms. Pac-Man for Uzebox? Is it worth the effort?
Good idea - and a really interesting website.

P.S. Do you have some news about uzechess?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yes! I also loved the variation in this game back them. That would be a great addition to the Uzebox. :D One way to save space is by using Lee's palette-based sprite code. You can reduce sprite data storage by 2 or 4 with it. It's not part of the kernel right now, but it's in my plan since it is required by a couple of Lee's games and my Castlevania port. With the new ram available with the kernel upgrade that would allow you to have more sprites on screen an move those fruits.
martinsustek

Post by martinsustek »

I can't recall now, if palette base sprite code works for whole screen or only few sprites. If it's applicable for whole screen, it can be used for different colors of maze, but it's not essentially.
I think lot of space can be freed by reducing color fonts, some artwork and so. But what I really need is original source of graphics and maps, without it I cannot modify it. Or is it possible to "decode" .inc to bitmap (sure it is, but are there any tool yet)?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Alas, there's no tool to reverse the .inc to images that I know of. Though you could create a test project and use Pac-Man .inc file's graphics and blit them all on one screen and capture that as a bmp. Palette stuff works only on sprites, not background tiles.
paul

Post by paul »

I've attached the unprocessed art assets for Uzebox Pac-Man. Was that what you were after? I was using Tile Studio back in the day, so some of the files might not be useful to you if you're using GConvert, but I included them anyway. Let me know if you need anything else.
Attachments
pacman_art.zip
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Nice artwork Paul! It's cool to see the tileset & sprite sheet of that great game after all those years. :)
martinsustek

Post by martinsustek »

Thank you Paul, that's what I wanted. I've created new topic for Ms. Pac-Man - http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1761
Stardust4Ever

Post by Stardust4Ever »

I noticed the Pacman game included on the Uzebox SD card doesn't have the screen border around it. I tried downloading the Hex file, but I can't figure out how to convert it to .uze format (I've never been able to use command line tools). Can someone upload the file in .uze format? Thanks.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I believe the version on the SD card is pacman lite. The full version has the extra stuff and it simply doesn't fit with the bootloader...yet. It is likely some graphical compression would make it possible if someone has the time.
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Hi! I loved this project - http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/play/ . You can play forever! I had two hours ...