Flight of a Dragon

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Re: Flight of a Dragon

Post by Jubatian »

nicksen782 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 am I updated the online version with the new version.

The controls seem better. New music too? Is this alpha or complete?

Great job!
The game is complete, I just labelled it "alpha" for now to indicate that some minor quirks might exist which might be fixed to reach the status of a complete game. But it may also happen that I determine there is none, and I just remove the "alpha" label later. There isn't much room to add anything anyway, there is only about 300 bytes of ROM space easily accessible as of now, maybe about 300 additional bytes if I started a mad hunt for holes to exploit. The story is complete, just play it to the end!

I did many small tweaks to the mechanics of the game compared to the UCC-2016 demo by my and some friends' game experience, so it should really control better. Once you adapt to it, it shouldn't be difficult to do a run-through (At least for me it goes by routine, there shouldn't be any place forcing you to rely on ridiculous timing to get past. Maximal possible high score peaks somewhere above 20K). There are some quirks I don't exactly like, but those are such hard-limitations which are not possible to get around (the physics engine has some hacks which imposes some limits).

I preserved the UCC-2016 demo: it is accessible as a tag on the GitHub repo, and as of now the wiki entry for the full game also links to web-playable versions of both (on my site, later you may change it to the Uzebox game changer, I put FoaD up actually before Nicksen released the game changer). This may be interesting for other games, too, such as I first didn't understood how Tornado 2000 scored so low on UCC-2014 until I saw what was complete of it then. The FoaD demo wiki entry also still exists, maybe I will just redirect it to the full game's entry (as I added sufficient info there for the demo as well).

No new music, I thought it good enough in the end (although it received some minor tweaks). You will hear something new though if you finish the game.

Did any of you succeed by the way?
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

UCC Version
https://nicksen782.net/a_demos/Emscript ... gameid=102

Alpha Version
https://nicksen782.net/a_demos/Emscript ... gameid=222

Online Game Changer has been updated. New category: UCC. I'll need to put the other UCC versions into that category at a later date.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

This game is amazing. I still can't get past level 3, but I took a look at the maps on github, just to see the level design, and they look so beautiful.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Jubatian,

Fabulous work. So much great detail.

Amazingly I was able to get to level 4. This has to be a first with me not being the worst player on a platform game.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

I've just made it to level 5! Once I realized there was a stamina meter and it's required for some of the high jumps it made my life a bit easier. I like that the game rewards momentum. It's got a bit of that sonic joy of moving around a big world at lighting pace. Got myself on the scoreboard too. Slotting in nicely between the default Alec-Uze and D3thAdder scores with 4560 8-) I'm still mightily impressed by the animations and graphic design in general. Having a fast scroll like that couldn't have been straight forward to implement as well. Looking ahead to my next try. Let's see if I can get through the next couple of levels!

PS. Have you considered adding a pause menu with an option to quit or continue?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Also wanted to say this is incredible. I have not had enough time to put the play in that is warranted yet, but I am aiming to beat level 5 when I can. Lots of content without any SD, which makes the efficient level storage here really shine as impressive amongst all the other technical wows packed in.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I have to play it the next days!
had no time for the uzebox until now.
The animations are amazing! Very good job Jubatian!! :shock:
Jó munka, as we say in Magyarország (Hungary) :D
The last digit of Pi is 7! I calculated this, as I counted to infinity yesterday!
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Wow, thanks everyone! Still nobody completed it then? (I thought it wouldn't be that difficult!)
L4rry wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pmPS. Have you considered adding a pause menu with an option to quit or continue?
During developing the demo I did, but I rather went for an arcade-like feel then, and it was a bit too complicated (on the main game screen there is no text font accessible, and I literally have exactly 0 bytes of RAM free). Maybe I will devise something to get a simpler pause option, but given the available resources I will have to really think about how it could be added in a sane intuitive manner. Normally you are getting some rest after every two levels when a story panel appears, that panel does not time out (originally it did, but I removed that just before releasing the demo for UCC2016). Quit on Uzebox is a little bit redundant anyway, not? :lol: (Just hit Reset or Soft-reset, the full version has it, the demo doesn't).
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

I was able to get to the part where the guy drops stuff off the castle wall onto my head, but I still haven't gotten past that part yet.
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Artcfox wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:26 pm I was able to get to the part where the guy drops stuff off the castle wall onto my head, but I still haven't gotten past that part yet.
Dude! You mean that bomb drop right? :lol: That also screwed me over first time. I was like, yeah, you can't arrow me from there you little pixelated man. Then all of a sudden BOOM! He drops a bomb on my head :mrgreen: