Post your WIPs

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Post your WIPs

Post by Jubatian »

Just an idea, hope you like it.

Post some work-in-progress shots or videos here if you feel like. Something I realized I am somewhat missing after spotting this Bomberman clone from Lee, not even mentioned here (or just got lost somewhere). It looks quite impressive and action-packed.

So this is the idea, no in-depth discussions, just short WIP reports, screencaps or videos, to help us knowing better what is in the making :)
D3thAdd3r

Re: Post your WIPs

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I hope people bite on this, it is by far my favorite part of Uzebox to know the different projects coming. UCC perhaps has the effect of utmost secrecy :lol:

Currently my main project is ESP8266 emulation; this time I got it but I am afraid the specs are pretty high. Soon it should be useful for development, I am all stalled out on games until it is. That BM clone with networking would be a possible pursuit in the next few years after the current pipeline is clear. I have nothing solid to show on anything for now though, but actively developing as ever.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Man, that Mega Bomber port is surely *very* impressive, specially after all those years and the underpowered kernel you had to work with! Releasing a "bare" 2 players more would be already be bringing a ton of value. ;)
L4rry

Post by L4rry »

Ok, I'll bite :)

But shush, don't tell anybody!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Cool teaser, I like the artwork! Of course it immediately makes me think of metroid, which leads me to believe you wouldn't have posted that if the game was something very similar(or the ale has affected my overthinking habit). Either way I am imagining something in the design style of Tank Fu, which for me definitely hit some spot for appreciation in "personality", or however the feel can be described.

Hopefully others come forward, hell if nothing else, just to put up some cryptic indirection that makes your project that much more mysterious ;)
Gosma

Post by Gosma »

Man... looks like there will be lots of cool games in december...

This is mine... :oops: still in concept and has a huge chance of not work, anyway, still trying :roll:
Attachments
ss.png
ss.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 8374 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Interesting, I sense a new sports game coming :) Besides racing which I consider a genre of it's own, I realized 100% of the sports titles for Uzebox(which is Uzekickers) was done by Gosma. Keep at it, you can definitely finish whatever it will end up being!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Sorry, Has no WIP pictures as yet. Its all very complex looking state machine diagrams and spreadsheets at the moment counting AVR clock cycles.

I'm feeling good again so maybe in a few weeks I might have a WIP HEX to post.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Well - Only 1.5 years later and I have finally gotten this off the spreadsheets and into ASM code.

It looks like it is going to be pretty wild, but sadly it does not run in the emulator at the moment. Only on real hardware.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

CunningFellow wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am Well - Only 1.5 years later and I have finally gotten this off the spreadsheets and into ASM code.

It looks like it is going to be pretty wild, but sadly it does not run in the emulator at the moment. Only on real hardware.
How hard would it be to add UART byte complete interrupt support to cuzebox, and is that all that is stopping it from running in the emulator? Possibly tricky because the UART doesn't actually send a byte out until the system clock reaches a multiple of the UART clock's prescaler, and you are using that to end scan lines, so it needs to be cycle accurate?

Can a shortcut be taken in the emulator because you always set the baud rate to zero to re-sync, or does that just cause the delay to be predictable, but still needing to be accounted for in order to terminate the scan lines at the appropriate time?

Edit: It looks like proper support might be tricky (and expensive in terms of cycle count) to add. This is how Simulavr does it: http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/sim ... hwuart.cpp although you only really need the interrupt to be called at the correct time, not all the nitty-gritty details emulated.
Last edited by Artcfox on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.