Problems on the Games and Demos list

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Jubatian

Re: Problems on the Games and Demos list

Post by Jubatian »

Could you check the following entries on your list? (I have no clue what they might be, they mostly don't even match anything on the Rom name list)

Code: Select all

cnb.uze
cnr.uze
cn.uze
hardpong.uze (Possibly a variant of DaveyPocket's Pong)
masmorra.uze
MusicDemo.uze (Possibly the missing Music Demo)
UzeCaster.uze
uzecast.uze
uzeteroids.uze (Possibly the missing Uzetroids)
The wiki can only accept image files, and not .hex or .uze files. Maybe this should be changed, or somewhere a location could be provided for these. I see Lee added media links to Babylon Tower which currently can not be provided this way. Of course posting stuff on the forum could work... (like thanks for the attachments, now I can link to something :P).

Huh, looking around in the Wanted Files list revealed a few things. Lee: You should probably look through the manual of Adventures of Lolo, half of the missing files belong there. You also have a game there which I just can't remember hearing of: RC Pro Am, an orphan page (nothing links there).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I will take a look at all those red links of mine, but basically they are placeholders. R.C. Pro Am needs to be deleted as I went with an entirely different name, engine, style, 6+ years ago, but I can't delete pages. I replaced the contents with [DELETE_ME].

"cnb.uze": This is probably Corrida Nebososa.
"cnr.uze": My guess is Candle Burner.
"cn.uze": I'd guess an alternate name of Corrida Nebososa but who knows what version.
"hardpong.uze": I seem to remember someone modified pong at some point?
"MusicDemo.uze":I wonder if we just delete this entry?
"UzeCaster.uze":This is either my raycaster or blue_knight's...or jhhoward's?
"uzecast.uze":The same as above, one of the three mentioned.
"uzeteroids.uze":seems like Uzetroids.

Edit**All wanted files are eliminated..since they were mostly my doing :oops: Just put a *NEED FILE* inline instead of a red link for now. Babylon Tower now has links to the .uze and .hex. I did [DELETE_ME] on some pages of mine I never finished and wont. We need to get Alec to clean those up someday.
nebososo

Post by nebososo »

OK, here they are
cnb.uze broken Corrida Nebososa joke
cnr.uze Corrida Nebososa Remix (menu only)
cn.uze Corrida Nebososa
masmorra.uze Very early work in progress I was experimenting with

I'm not sure about the rest, but I guess some of those might be what you expect
Attachments
uze_pack.zip
(123.42 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

I figured out the followings:
  • uzecast.uze: Lee, isn't this familiar to you? This is a tiny screen raycaster with you as author (in the .uze)
  • UzeCaster.uze: Another raycaster, apparently different technique, no author is listed in the uze.
  • hardpong.uze: This is a different Pong clone! The author is "omundodogabriel" by the uze, anyone can recall who was him?
  • uzeteroids.uze: I think this is a beta of CunningFellow's Vector Game. No author is listed in the uze, but the game seems to be that game's asteroids level.
  • MusicDemo.uze: I realized that this is in the kernel. It should probably receive a wiki entry.
So still no Uzetroids, but we got a new Pong clone.

Lee: You could have left those files there where they were really missing (I mean that the page should have them to be complete). These lists (like Wanted files) are especially good to find which pages might need attention, I just mentioned that they do need attention (in case anyone forgot about anything there).
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Jubatian wrote: Bomberman II By the wiki this Bomberman clone seems to be completely lost. Does anyone know anything about it?
I searched the forums and found nothing about it, nor do I remember it being mentioned by anyone in the past.
Jubatian wrote:SubMarine By the wiki this game seems to be completely lost. Does anyone know anything about it?
I found this from Kilo:
Kilo wrote: btw, bad news: I've worked on a football manager and oil imperium and many more games...
I stored them all on my USB stick and now: guess what happened? The stick doesn't work anymore!
All sources, pictures, code, of all my games, also das boot and submarine, are gone! :shock: :? :cry:
I will check around, I know for sure I had a hex of this game at some point.
Jubatian wrote:Frog Feast This was a tutorial for UCC 2014, should be tidied up (Final version? Sources?).
In the end I never did make it into a tutorial, I will fix this to point to my Github sources.
Jubatian wrote:Fliptris Belongs to Flecko as far as the wiki is concerned. Nothing else known.
I also have or had a rom for this, I will check.
Jubatian wrote: uzecast.uze: Lee, isn't this familiar to you? This is a tiny screen raycaster with you as author (in the .uze)
Ok then that is my really old little test from here, doesn't merit a wiki entry by any means.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Yep, I know, the wiki is a bit messy and needs maintenance. It's a bit the job of everybody to correct things when they see it.
I noticed a weird thing. Here is the Mode 9 demo, look at its category listing. What the heck is a Possible copyright violation in this thing? Even the font shouldn't possibly be (6px wide fonts weren't exactly common, and even if so, there aren't many choices for pixeling one anyway, I can't believe it could be something eligible for copyright). Possibly this category needs some revising (whatever is within), it would be nice if the discussion pages at least were updated to contain info over these (or I think it could be better to mention these straight away on the game page to be clear).

What is the purpose of the Games category? (It has only one entry which is not even a game...)

The Media without a license category might have a valid purpose? (although technically every game must be released at least under GPLv3 here if it uses the kernel which requires this) This only have a single game... Some WIP from 2009, wonder if it even exists today.
I didn't even know about this stuff! Some peoples made those and I wasn't aware. All that copyright stuff is insane and overkill for such a project, I don't want to even bother frankly. For the GPL bit, yeah I often asked folks to publish sources but many didn't comply sadly.
For sources today I think the best is GitHub: it is simple and free for open source stuff, and it is easy to pick up projects for further maintenance even if the original author left them behind. When the UCC ends, I will init a git repo for my game there. There might be others, though, but hopefully GitHub will stay around for long.
Yes seems the best place. Though I think we should create a separate repo just for all the unfinished game/demo sources...?

Attached are some roms mentionned by Jubatian. Interestingly I have the Bomberman II demo! And it looked quite promising actually, really sad it's been left unfinished. I don't have the sources either.

Found Uzetroids! It's spelled Uztroid. A very alpha demo.

Two awesome WIP games, specially Uze-a-move!
- U-Type sources: https://github.com/SteveMaddison/utype
- Uze-A-Move sources: https://github.com/SteveMaddison/uzeamove

As a side note, I have probably a dozen HEX files of quick demos and unreleased stuff I gathered over the years. I would not like to pollute the game database with them, but I guess some may like to see them. A separate page for them?
Attachments
uztroid.hex
(112.58 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
bomberman2-wip.uze
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
fliptris-wip.uze
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
uze-a-move-wip.uze
(59.74 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
void-fighter-wip.uze
(49.04 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
void-fighter-wip.hex
(136.53 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
uze-a-move-wip.hex
(166.63 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
g-force-wip.hex
(65.16 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
fliptris-wip.hex
(47.94 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
bomberman2-wip.hex
(108.17 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Also found a little demo by Kilo "Broken screen": http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10758#p10758 . I've added a placeholder in the game db.

Sources found for:
Fliptris: https://code.google.com/archive/p/flipt ... ult/source

Also found a variant of the first Pong Uzebox game:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/fuzeb ... ult/source
pong-b.hex
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Can I do something to help?
There is a page on the forum with a source code file unpretentious and ready to play Air Hockey(author - omundodogabriel) against the computer.

http://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1878
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Kerby wrote:There is a page on the forum with a source code file unpretentious and ready to play Air Hockey(author - omundodogabriel) against the computer.
Huh, then we found the author of "hardpong.uze" sent by Nebososo above! That air hockey game by the way very much feels impossible to win against the computer.

Alec: Could you provide some area to use for filling in missing ROMs? (Particularly the many missing UzeRoms which I marked with the appropriate category). Sources might also need to receive a place to exist at. Nice set of experimental stuff, that Uze-a-move game almost reached a quite playable state even! (practically it only seems to be missing that unconnected balls should also fall along with those disappearing).

Possibly some distinction could be made between "fully playable" games and experimental or historical stuff, and only have the former in an official games list, so people visiting (I mean those who might not be immediately interested in the coding / technological aspect, rather just wanting some retro fun) could browse among those. The Wiki categorization is a nice tool for this I think, at least it is much easier to quickly edit than a list of games table, the latter then may be kept maintained according to the category.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Cannot find an original thread for the [Music Demo] that has been blank for a long time on the wiki, nor do I actually know when it was made. I know Alec made it, I'm guessing around 2009. I will stick the roms here and if anyone has more information please update the skeleton page here
Attachments
MusicDemo.uze
(35.09 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
MusicDemo.hex
(97.32 KiB) Downloaded 503 times