Uzenet Console

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

Uzenet Console

Post by uze6666 »

console.jpg
console.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 5376 times
I was so tired of having to plug that USB-UART cable thing and having to find the right setting on my PC just to send commands to the ESP8266. Then I realized, hey, the Uzebox can do that! Just plug in the "Uzekboard" and you have full control of the module just like if you have via a console on your pc. :P So it's good to experiment and fiddle with the ESP8266.

So basically you enter commands and if it's not one of the console's command, it's sent right over the UART to the ESP8266.

Sure you need a Uzenet module or the new v1.3 board *and* a Uzekeyboard, but those are available to whoever asks. ;)

Btw, I'm trying to develop a generic console component for mode 9 that's using the keyboard. I've added a "hardware" cursor to the video mode, so no need to pollute the user code with that.
Attachments
UzenetConsole.uze
(49.21 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
UzenetConsole.hex
(137.03 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
D3thAdd3r

Re: Uzenet Console

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ha yes all that fiddling stuff is slow and such a pain. This should be very handy, keyboard even, I will give it a thorough try tomorrow.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Cool! Is the ai-thinker firmware the official firmware? I don't think it is, because I had ai-thinker firmware pre-installed on the -01 modules I ordered from Adafruit and when I tried to use the cloud update feature it bricked the module because it assumed I was cloud updating the official firmware.

I eventually used a RPi to put the official firmware on it, but a lot of the commands changed after that. Just be careful if you are thinking about playing with the cloud update command in the console. (I would avoid doing so unless you are sure it will work, and you have a way to recover a bricked module.)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It worked for me at least. The module came with rev 0.25 and the cloud update worked fine and updated to v0.30.
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

uze6666 wrote:It worked for me at least. The module came with rev 0.25 and the cloud update worked fine and updated to v0.30.
Oh good, I'm glad they fixed that!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

For those kinds of reason I like the idea of only using ESP12s. No ultra old firmware like the 01s can have, enough flash for future firmwares or even custom ones unlike others, and of course they look nice.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

This works well. It would be nice to have the option to not send "\r\n" somehow for the case of "AT+CIPSEND=11\r\n"..."Hello World" or anything that you are sending some number of payload bytes that is not supposed to have "\r\n" making it 11+2 bytes for instance.