Solitaire

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Solitaire

Post by D3thAdd3r »

solitaire.png
solitaire.png (21.25 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
I got back to work on this game and realized it's been nearly done for a while. I thought I would put it out and get some community feedback before I call it totally done though. There should be some progress updates before that time as the next goal is to get it working with Uzenet high score server, in a way that will work for Ghosty Ghost as well. I want it to be a universal extremely low resource drop in solution for any game, at which point I'd be interested in implementing it in as many existing Uzebox games as possible like pacman, donkey kong, etc.

So on to the actual game, this one shouldn't be totally foreign to too many folks. It's the classic card game you can play alone, based on a fun but not overly serious mixture of skill and luck. Most people probably know how the game works already, those new to it should be able to read online somewhere or simply wait at the title screen and watch the AI play some hands. The AI actually wins pretty often so it shows a good basic strategy to use for beginners.

Scoring is the same as the standard Microsoft rules and each scoring action proportionally is the same. The overall score itself will be smaller due to resolution and EEPROM considerations. The faster you go the higher the bonus so it pays to play quick! If you win a hand and get a high score you can enter a 8 character name into the high score table. Uzenet code currently lays dormant, but eventually it will send any stored score(that hasn't been already) to Uzenet whenever internet access becomes available to the Uzebox(or Uzem).

You have some features at your disposal, including:

*7 different deck colors

*1 card draw or 3, for increased difficulty(and to be worth more points in the future version)

*6 different songs-not chosen because they fit a card game..but ones I felt like doing ;) (and there's plenty more I'd like to do!)

*SNES mouse support and adjustable cursor speeds

*shortcut keys/combinations/double click to make play less mechanical(thanks nicksen782 for the suggestions on these!)

*preferences can be saved at the title screen and will be restored next time you play(intertwined over the high scores in EEPROM)

*a classic code

**To be implemented**
Uzenet world wide high score tracking(still just a casual for fun game though :) )

That's it for now, any feedback or suggestions I'd appreciate, thanks guys!

Controls:

D-Pad or SNES mouse = move cursor
B or SNES mouse Left Button = cursor click(select card, options, etc)
Double click B or Mouse left button = shortcut-move selected card(s) to the next available location(Home stack, another stack on the table, etc)
B + A = same effect as double click
Y = draw new card from deck
Attachments
SOLITAIR.UZE
(59.32 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
SOLITAIR.HEX
(165.47 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
solitaireWIP.png
solitaireWIP.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 6988 times
kivan117

Re: Solitaire

Post by kivan117 »

Glad to see this finally released into the wild after reading about it on the wiki and seeing references to it in the Uzenet discussions. Can't test it right now but I will as soon as I get an opportunity. Really nice to have another simple classic game available for the system. I think adding some of these fun casual games can definitely help broaden the appeal of the system beyond just die hard nerds :lol:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I'm out of town for the week so can't test it either. Will pull out that SNES mouse and check it out when I'm back.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

nice work.

I should really work out how these tile and sprite games work one day. They are so much more colourful than the vector stuff.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Can't make it run on the physical thing. It resets continuously. Same for .UZE and .HEX. Is it possible you are using an old kernel? I think I see that green wedge in the bottom left corner.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hmm, I just downloaded the latest off github and threw it on there, new version attached. I wonder if that resetting has something to do with UART stuff, I disabled all uzenet stuff in the attached. Unfortunately I wont be able to test this on hardware for a bit.

Edit - old versions deleted
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Here is the same, with the new kernel, and Uzenet enabled

Edit - old version deleted
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Hmm, I just downloaded the latest off github and threw it on there, new version attached. I wonder if that resetting has something to do with UART stuff, I disabled all uzenet stuff in the attached. Unfortunately I wont be able to test this on hardware for a bit.

This one works fine and great music tracks! (Zeldaaaa!) :P A couple comments so far:

-Dunno if it's a feature or rule of the game ;) but if you try to pick a card from the left most stack the screens all messes up with cards and it's game over. It happens at least when no cards has been put on that stack.
-Would be nice to detect if the mouse is in P2 port and then use this one.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

On resetting, I may have been screwing around with

Code: Select all

//	if(!ReadPowerSwitch())
//		SoftReset();
ISP stopped working again, bunch of Uzeboxes laying around with no bootloader and random development versions of games. Too much time wasted, it's garbage time for the MKII. Pretty embarassing to have this temporary Uzebox "graveyard" right now but I'll get a new ISP soon.

Edit - ah crap, the flashing screen then "cards all over" is when you win a game. That's debugging code to quickly test eeprom entry sorting(which was broken now fixed) I forgot to comment out, it's been a long day and I'm losing it I think :? I hope it's actually just picking up a card from the second stack from the left does it, otherwise it's a bug I've never see.....errr a feature even windows version doesn't have!

I'll attach what I really hope works to the top post and will delete the rest, please let me know.

The mouse in player 2 port thing is good, I will attempt to do it cleanly. Code space is getting tight now but I'll drop track 3 or 6 if it comes against implementing all the features that should be.

Music was really fun for this one since I made no attempt to justify the song choices and do only "card game songs", since hey, that's what music off is for. I spent more time than I'd like to admit arranging track 4 for just 4 channels(Duke Nukem 3d Stalker). Always loved that song on the Saturn versus any other.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Player a dozens games and it seems to work fine now, didn't encounter any bugs so far. Great work!