Ghosty Ghost

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
kivan117

Ghosty Ghost

Post by kivan117 »

I think I've made enough progress on my latest project to officially announce it. It isn't finished but It's fairly close.

BEHOLD! Ghosty Ghost!

Image Image

Ghosty Ghost is the epic tale of a brand new ghost who's just learning to fly... or something like that. Those of you who play mobile games will find it eerily familiar, haha. While the game concept is by no means original, all of the artwork and audio is (which explains the quality ;) ).

Controls are really simple. Up/down to move on the menu, left/right cycles menu options (currently just audio). Start is used to select menu choices and used to start a new game if you're viewing high scores. Press any button at all during gameplay to fly up. Pressing select will mute/unmute during gameplay as well.

I'm currently using eeprom block 117, so if that's a conflict with someone else' upcoming game let me know.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this up with a little better menu and online high scores soon.

If you do manage to find any bugs etc please let me know.

EDIT: Source now available on github.

EDIT:Added new download for version 1.0. All online related features stripped out to save space. Downloads of online beta still available.
Attachments
gghost_localonly_1.0.zip
Version 1.0, local saves only
(43 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
gghost_beta4_alwaysonline.zip
beta 4 for testing menus in emuze (assumes hardware available)
(48.08 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
gghost_beta4.zip
beta 4, detects and responds to hardware
(48.09 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Last edited by kivan117 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:20 am, edited 9 times in total.
nicksen782

Re: Ghosty Ghost

Post by nicksen782 »

I tried to play your new game in the Uzem emulator but it would not start. Does it only work on the actual hardware?

I started a game similar to Flappy Bird but never really got too far. I love the screenshot. Graphics look nice. I sure do want to play it though. I'll need to wait until I get home.
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

It should run in both, though I've only tested the .uze on hardware and the .hex on the emulator. Maybe the upload got botched somehow? I'll resubmit it later tonight.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

It should run in both, though I've only tested the .uze on hardware and the .hex on the emulator. Maybe the upload got botched somehow? I'll resubmit it later tonight.
The emulator should be able to run the .hex. Mine didn't though. Could you upload both files and zip them?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Nice work James! The graphics are great and the varied color theme is a nice touch. The in-game music could have some more tracks but it suits the game very well. You pretty right on for the gameplay, I'd say too perharp too much, I can't get passed the second gate! A small improvement to speed up game play would be to allow to press start and go to the scores as soon as the ghost hits the wall. Like that a quick start-start press and we can quickly start again.

Solid piece of work for a first game! :mrgreen:

Edit: Score:7, I'm improving!
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I can't run the .uze file either on uzem 1.19.1 on win8/64, I will throw this on an SD card and try it on real hardware tomorrow after work when I have enough time for a good play through. Great looking graphics here and the spin on the concept is a nice idea!
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

I edited the main post with a new download including both the hex and the .uze file. I've been using the packromgui program I downloaded a while back, maybe that's the source of the problem.

Also I made a small edit to the game as uze suggested, adding the ability to press start immediately after death and jump straight to the high score screen instead of always waiting the two seconds. You can still choose to wait it out, but if you're impatient you can just hit start.
uze6666 wrote:The in-game music could have some more tracks but it suits the game very well.
I completely agree with you on this one, it sounds a bit hollow with only the main melody. Unfortunately every time I try to add in some harmony or rhythm to it, it just ends up muddy and confusing sounding. Writing 8-bit music isn't my forte, so I could use some backup on this one... if only we had a music wizard here to help ;)
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Thanks for the new uploads. Game seems to do its thing just fine. Ghosty Ghost!! Maybe this is the ghost of a certain bird of flaps (since the original creator pulled it from the app store.)

Is it using mode 3 scrolling?
kivan117

Post by kivan117 »

nicksen782 wrote:Thanks for the new uploads. Game seems to do its thing just fine. Ghosty Ghost!! Maybe this is the ghost of a certain bird of flaps (since the original creator pulled it from the app store.)

Is it using mode 3 scrolling?
Could be, seeing as he apparently still can't fly straight :lol:

It is using mode 3 scrolling. Been using it on my main project so it seemed easiest to work with what I know.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I got a chance to play it, it's a nicely done game. Especially for your first game and having all original content is impressive. I never played flappy birds before, but I wasn't expecting the game to beat me so badly. Hopefully I will improve a bit on my timing and post a score. Sound effects are well done and the music fits well. So I take it you made that little midi tune yourself, cool! If you want to keep it all original content, then more music is a lot of work. Since the scrolling is the main visual element and you should have plenty of extra flash, maybe you could have the first parallax scrolling background in a completed Uzebox game? Just store 8 different versions for the sky/cityscape tiles and set them accordingly without ram tile stuff, I've wanted to see that in a real game since moon lander teased us with it years ago!