Frog Feast

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Frog Feast

Post by D3thAdd3r »

ffscreen.png
ffscreen.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
ff-title.png
ff-title.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
ff-konami-code.png
ff-konami-code.png (59.41 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
ff-dizzy.png
ff-dizzy.png (61.2 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Thanks to Alec for the initial idea and general kick start to my interest in the game. Also, the excellent pond/lilly pad/level tiles, they really look great and are at least 50% of the graphical "nice factor" in the entire game. Long story told quickly: the original intent was to make the game as a tutorial for UCC2014 but people got busy and interest waned. I randomly started making a title screen in hopes of rekindling interest, then I randomly just started assembling the game one Saturday and quickly got in too deep to turn back. I didn't write up a tutorial as I went, but the code(release soon) isn't complex and I think it speaks for itself. A couple hacks I am not interested in fixing correctly...unless you actually find bugs(high score/EEProm is most likely) then please tell me! Hope you guys get some amusement from it, controls should be more standard now and I promise you can destroy that "frog bot" before long with practice.

All the gameplay details can be found in the Game manual.

Source can be found here https://github.com/weber21w/uzebox-frog-feast
Edit-source and ROMs updated
Attachments
FRGFEAST.uze
(57.76 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
FRGFEAST.UZE
(60.1 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times
FRGFEAST.hex
(167.64 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Frog Feast

Post by uze6666 »

Yessss! It's released and it was well worth it. The game is much more than the original Frogs & flies on the atari 2600. We don't have so many 2P games, so it's a welcome addition. :D Great work Lee! I'll post a news today.
paul

Post by paul »

Yeah, I really like how this one turned out, Lee. The AI is spot on and any qualms I had with tongue-reach have been accounted for nicely. As usual, the music is great. All it needs is Uzenet capabilities and it'll be perfect :D
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I want to do Uzenet for this one for sure. Uzem ESP8266 support is running in it's own thread so it's fast now(fixing some UART race conditions still). I have a general purpose framework of network functions that should make networking games straight forward as it can be. Once we get a fix on the real 8266 I will start moving forward on that again. I have a fair idea of how to network the gameplay already without resorting to pad states.
Gosma

Post by Gosma »

Cool game. Te not me has higher score heheh

Makes me want to make other games :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

This one seemed to suffer some bit rot from the same compiler changes that affected Toorum's Quest. Will work on that, and getting it to rebuild from a proper gconvert setup instead of my old TileStudio stuff.

However I think I found an issue with PCM, and it's strange. I'm also using 40 ram_tiles[], so it's right at the edge of "strange things" I suppose, but it doesn't seem like the issue since lowering it doesn't change anything. Basically PCM works as expected with the old kernel I built this against originally, but with the new kernel, the PCM seems to skip the end point and just continue on?! It's a bunch of static before looping back to the "ribbit" sample. The static plays at different pitches while playing the game, since random pitch shifts are used. This tells me for sure the channel just keeps running, instead of reaching and looping on the last(silent) byte like it's suppose do.

So I recall Jubatian did some of his magic on Mode 3(yielding more cycles, along with the Extended Resolution mode). I also believe he optimized the inline mixer to gain some cycles. Not saying it's related, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this. Will post an update when I know more. I do see that the logic on the end/loop part has changed for the inline mixer.

Come to think of it...is there any game in the last few years that uses PCM? I wonder if this bug has been around for a while, and only discovered if you try to compile an old PCM game? Laser Puzzle may have been before the changes?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Ok well that was quick, yes and I love Laser Puzzle, good code too, it even solved my issue!

For sure setting the loop start/end on the same byte used to work. It doesn't work anymore, so:

Code: Select all

const struct PatchStruct patches[] PROGMEM = {
{2,RibbitWave,NULL,sizeof(RibbitWave)-1,sizeof(RibbitWave)-1},
Needs to instead be:

Code: Select all

const struct PatchStruct patches[] PROGMEM = {
{2,RibbitWave,NULL,sizeof(RibbitWave)-2,sizeof(RibbitWave)-1},
To be fair, I can see how the looping logic actually makes more sense for that, just need to make sure the last 2 bytes of a sample are 0 instead of just the last one. Anyway if someone has the same "runaway PCM" issue, it's probably this.

Pretty sure the PCM tutorial still offers the old way, which is setting someone up to fail now if someone wants to fix it. I'm still locked out of the Wiki unfortunately.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Alright fixed all the bit rot, this is really tight on RAM at 40, so I lowered this to 39 ram_tiles[]. In theory it's possible for some flicker with max flies on screen an specific frog positions, but I don't see it happening during play. This would be a cool one for Uzenet. The fixed code is now homed at: https://github.com/weber21w/uzebox-frog-feast
Artcfox

Post by Artcfox »

Glad you were able to fix your issue quickly. The end loop was something I ended up discovering, and I am glad that I added the comment in the patches.inc file. :-)