Frog Feast

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Frog Feast

Post by D3thAdd3r » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 am

ffscreen.png
ffscreen.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
Thanks to Alec for the initial idea and general kick start to my interest in the game. Also, the excellent pond/lilly pad/level tiles, they really look great and are at least 50% of the graphical "nice factor" in the entire game. Long story told quickly: the original intent was to make the game as a tutorial for UCC2014 but people got busy and interest waned. I randomly started making a title screen in hopes of rekindling interest, then I randomly just started assembling the game one Saturday and quickly got in too deep to turn back. I didn't write up a tutorial as I went, but the code(release soon) isn't complex and I think it speaks for itself. A couple hacks I am not interested in fixing correctly...unless you actually find bugs(high score/EEProm is most likely) then please tell me! Hope you guys get some amusement from it, controls should be more standard now and I promise you can destroy that "frog bot" before long with practice.

All the gameplay details can be found in the Game manual.

EDIT-new rom version, now NES pad support is perfect without needing 2 separate versions for SNES/NES.
Source can be found here.
Attachments
FRGFEAST.UZE
(60.1 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
FRGFEAST.hex
(167.64 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Frog Feast

Post by uze6666 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Yessss! It's released and it was well worth it. The game is much more than the original Frogs & flies on the atari 2600. We don't have so many 2P games, so it's a welcome addition. :D Great work Lee! I'll post a news today.

paul

Post by paul » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Yeah, I really like how this one turned out, Lee. The AI is spot on and any qualms I had with tongue-reach have been accounted for nicely. As usual, the music is great. All it needs is Uzenet capabilities and it'll be perfect :D

D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 am

I want to do Uzenet for this one for sure. Uzem ESP8266 support is running in it's own thread so it's fast now(fixing some UART race conditions still). I have a general purpose framework of network functions that should make networking games straight forward as it can be. Once we get a fix on the real 8266 I will start moving forward on that again. I have a fair idea of how to network the gameplay already without resorting to pad states.

Gosma

Post by Gosma » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 am

Cool game. Te not me has higher score heheh

Makes me want to make other games :)