Alter Ego

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
CunningFellow

Re: Alter Ego

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:PS. I know the code isn't very friendly looking or orderly...but if you compare it to Columns it is a walk in the park :lol:
If you look at the tempest code, you will see I have two styles.

One style that is neat, easy to read, has comments to explain ANYthing that is unorthodox and comments on usage.

Then another style that all those ideas go out the window as I am trying to work out how is the best way to achieve something. No one, even me, is going to understand those bits in six months time.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I could also add all the code to the official repo if you want. Since you are now a commiter you could work on it there.

I have finally received my framemeister (more on that on an upcoming review ) and it shows the green thing when going through it on a lcd TV. Interestingly, signal going straight to it doesn't display the problem. :?:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Want me to check out the sync timing on a scope to see if thete is anything funny making the green line
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Good idea. I'll use the sources to trace what's going on in the avr simulator.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

uze6666 wrote:I could also add all the code to the official repo if you want. Since you are now a commiter you could work on it there.
That would be perfect. The source needs a lot of little cleanups but it is as optimized and efficient as I would ever care to make it. It shouldn't take long to make it readable. As interested in open source as I have now become, I need to learn how to use all that stuff.
CunningFellow wrote:Want me to check out the sync timing on a scope to see if thete is anything funny making the green line
uze6666 wrote:Good idea. I'll use the sources to trace what's going on in the avr simulator.
Hmm let me make sure I have the newest kernel and rebuild it before you go to too much trouble. I have a very bad habit of copying projects and then hacking an experiment in, copying stuff to another experiment, which if successful, turns into a game I didn't plan on making so my development is very ad hoc. Then I release it and say there is no way I ever touched the kernel.... and the guys who know how to use their scopes inform me that I did :lol:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Found it! :D Your makefile included -DTRUE_RANDOM_GEN=1. I guess you put it there to test it when I released it and forgot to remove it. I found out when trying to run in uzem as it was always hanging since it not yet implemented. Though I don't really know why the random code screws up the video sync like that! I will have a look. I'll let you rebuild and update the thread with the fixed roms.

Now I have another problem with my cheap ass SD cards...some of them will not run the game when launched from the bootloader ("SD error"). There must be someting with the bootloader and sd cleanup. I will have to find out why. In the mean time, I'd just like to implement a patch in your game so that it work with the card I ship with my kits (they are ready to ship).
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

just a question. How big are the cheap SD cards you got? The full "movie" for all the jump and zoom frames will take up 700 meg I think.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

700 megs! :shock: The cards are mere 256Megs right now, but I may go to 1GB MicroSD cards, they comes 50 cents less/piece in 100 pieces lots on AliExpress. Would be easy to convince me if I saw the end results of that 700megs! ;) Well with 1GB we'd have some space on the card for other games and a small UZM movie too. Though I can't be sure they are are fast and the size is not fake.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Now I have another problem with my cheap ass SD cards...some of them will not run the game when launched from the bootloader ("SD error"). There must be someting with the bootloader and sd cleanup. I will have to find out why. In the mean time, I'd just like to implement a patch in your game so that it work with the card I ship with my kits (they are ready to ship).
OK, fixed. And I guess it should become a standard thing (bake it in straight in pff?) since so many card seems to take varying amount of time to initialize.
Added an attempt loop like you put elsewhere on the pf_mount() function:

Code: Select all

for(uint8_t i=0;i<MAX_SD_ATTEMPTS;i++){
		res=pf_mount(&fs);
		if(res==FR_OK) break;
		WaitVsync(2);		
	}
	if(res!=FR_OK) SDCrash(6);
Works like a charm now!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Lee, you received kudos from the game creator! 8-)
https://twitter.com/uzebox/status/540417682332733440