Puzzle. Cylinder or ring?

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
Kerby

Puzzle. Cylinder or ring?

Post by Kerby »

Hello, everyone!
I fell into the hands of an old puzzle, probably the 80s of the last century! Represents five main rings with cutouts and colored balls and one additional ring with empty cutaway. All rings can rotate around one axis, and the balls move freely cutout neighboring ring. Task is to get five colored lines or five colored rings.
Attachments
2416.jpg
2416.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 11655 times
Last edited by Kerby on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerby

Re: Puzzle. Cylinder or ring?

Post by Kerby »

I do not know exactly how the name of this toy. Decided to move it to the platform Uzebox, mainly to train myself to write a simple logical algorithms.
This is just an interim version, but the basic logic is already running. If you are interested, I will try to do a full version with upgraded decor! Strictly do not judge - I'm new to programming ..
Move the cursor as usual; 'B' button to move the ball loose cutout adjacent rings; button 'A' + left or right to scroll the row of balls.
Attachments
Puzzle.hex
(61.29 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hey Kerby - this mockup looks nice. :D :D

Perhaps you can add some sound effects.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Look like a promising puzzle to me! :)
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

Hi!
I began this project a year ago, but then scored on a eleven months. Now back and fully finished. Of course my game cloves from ideal and something we could do better, but I'm new to programming. Used video mode 1.
Attachments
Babylon_Tower.rar
(35.19 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Game looks nice! It's kind of like a Rubix cube where you have to get each side to be a solid color. In this case however, it is for rows instead of sides.
*EDIT* I mean 'columns' not 'rows'.

I'm researching (read: reading other people's code) to see how they handle gamestates/logic. How would you say your gamestates/logic is handled? I've been reading through Space Invaders heavily and Space Ace.
Last edited by nicksen782 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I love when a new Uzebox game pops up unexpectedly :) This is quite a well done game Kerby! Graphics are and sound effects are good, things just look nice and I can appreciate the details. The game controls are intuitive and the mechanics are easy to learn, I think this game was done exactly how it should have been. Now I just have to figure out some strategy to beat it so I can see what happens at the end.
babylon_tower2.png
babylon_tower2.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 11232 times
Kerby

Post by Kerby »

--- http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/tower.htm
Thank you for the positive feedback! Generally this puzzle relates to a series of simple and fast. A plastic toy from the top photo, I decide in about one minute. If this puzzle game console worthy Uzebox, would you put it in the list on the wiki.
I like all sorts of puzzles, logic games and algorithms. This is not the last puzzle game that I hope to move to Uzebox.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Kerby wrote:This is not the last puzzle game that I hope to move to Uzebox.
Cool, this one definitely belongs on Uzebox and the design shows that you know what you are doing so I say bring on the games! I threw up a basic page on the wiki here. If you want you can request a wiki account here and add stuff, or I can add or change anything you want on that page. Also if you are want some music added to this or future games just find an midi file you like and I can convert it or help with the tutorial here. Keep it up!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Kerby, nice work :)

Nicksen, are you familiar with state machines?