New Game: Arkanoid!

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
DavidEtherton

Re: New Game: Arkanoid!

Post by DavidEtherton »

Rafiki wrote:New to this, just successfully built a Fuzebox. A couple of questions: Isn't 177KB too big to put on this platform? Is there a source file or a MakeFile that will make uploading it easier for us one-trick ponies? I suppose I should go back to step one on LadyAda's tutorial.
In the original post he did mention it doesn't work on fuzebox. It takes about 44 characters to represent 16 bytes in a hex file (depending on line endings and such), so muliply the size by that fraction to see how much space it really takes -- by my quick math it's under 64k (but probably over the 60k limit when using a bootloader)

-Dave
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Technically, it can run on the Fuzebox, since it's 100% compatible with the Uzebox 'spec'. However, the Fuzebox comes with the bootloader enabled and cannot accept roms more than 62k or something like that. For those with and ISP programmer, you can just disable the bootloader fuse and you are good to go.

This reminds me though that Clay proposed a while ago that roms don't exceed 62-63K so it's able to fit the SD card bootloader eventually...

Uze
Rafiki

Post by Rafiki »

Yes, I have the bootloader chip, and I do not have a programmer, but I am considering getting one.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I guess no one looked at the code so far for the "easter egg", warp through the next level at any time by pressing: Y+X+LEFT SHOULDER. 8-)

-uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

I guess no one looked at the code so far for the "easter egg", warp through the next level at any time by pressing: Y+X+LEFT SHOULDER. 8-)
That's no fun, I like to try and beat the level by destroying all the blocks. And I like my way out of the endless loop. Exit loop by explosion :D
But I never noticed that before.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

That's no fun, I like to try and beat the level by destroying all the blocks. And I like my way out of the endless loop.
Sure I agree, however I'm wondering how I'll fix this one. There's only 3 possible angles as per the original and that indeed cause the infinite loop. I may alter rebound angles by a very slight random value. That way it should be able to eventually get out.

-uze
DaveyPocket

Post by DaveyPocket »

Just a note, for rebound on the paddles in my Pong recreation, I made up an equation. I'm not sure if you used something like this.

Y = (<Vertical center of ball> - <Vertical center of paddle>) * 0.10 / 2

Y is a variable of type double, it is added to the Ball position (Ball.y+=Y)
The picture below represents this:

In the equation, '0.10' can be set to a different value to change the span of the direction of the ball during rebound.
schepers_cp

Post by schepers_cp »

maybe a bit of a bump, but i can't get past level 6, because of this bug:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2y9J7kxU0[/youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2y9J7kxU0
don't ask me how i did this (no code changes!, just running in the emulator), but i managed to get it like this~ XD
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Luckily everyone has the source code available to fix it ;)

If the original only had 3 angles I guess there is something to be said for that, though there seems to be a bug there causing those block to not disappear after being hit several times? Not sure if Arkanoid uses sub pixel positioning (16bit values using lowest 8 bits as sub pixel movement, highest 8 as actual draw position) but that would be necessary to implement more angles and speeds. Games I have seen use a lookup table based on the offset from the left side of ball with the left side of paddle to come up with an resulting angle in xspeed/yspeed values. Good game as it stands; it's a feature not a bug :)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The silver tiles are unbreakable.

I don't know about the original arcade version, but the home version I had in the 80s would do the same thing for a while.

It did have some counter in it though that if you had played the one level for more than X minutes the black "warp" door would open and let you leave the level.