Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
CunningFellow

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r wrote:I might have already asked this before and I suspect I know the answer but, would it be terribly difficult to make it 2 player cooperative(remove AI droid in that case)? I've played it quite a bit so far and it's an engaging game, wish I could team up with someone else..if there were ram or cycles for that.
There should be the RAM and the cycles left to do it.

I could probabaly pop in another object type OBJ_PLAYER_DROID between the OBJ_CLAW and the OBJ_BULLET

Then reserve object 1 as player_droid (0 is claw) and would need to make the managed object heap start at 2 rather than 1.

New "move" and "collision" routines, but the draw routine could just point to the same one as the AI_DROID.

A couple of other minor changes like "can't do a AI_Droid powerup"

I'll have a go at that functionality after I complete the kickstarter.

While playing today I also noticed I have screwed up the behavior of the mirrors and the pulsars. No to big a deal, they are just not as deadly as they should be so the game stays easy for too long.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Exciting that you believe it possible, it really would be a good game with a friend.
CunningFellow wrote:I'll have a go at that functionality after I complete the kickstarter.
You da' man, do your thing!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

D3thAdd3r,

Do you think your sounds are right now in that latest download ?

How should co-op work with lives and score ?

Is it shared or separate ?
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Closer but still much too quiet I tried an experiment if you can throw me another build with the attached patches. I will get you an updated version pretty soon with some improved sounds. I can't hear them that well until they are louder, but VERY luckily(since build problems led this to be entirely based off imagination) they seem fit the action and music rather nicely. Jump needs to be proportionally louder, perhaps higher frequency, I might redo it but it's a quick easy one. Getting shot needs to fade quicker to match game timing. Claw getting caught needs some little punch right at the beginning but seems decent. Regular bullet shot seems a bit off but maybe good, I'll have to hear it with fixed volume. Beating the level zoom out seems way better match than expected, but it almost seems like it's clipping somehow depending on where the song is at, I will investigate that. Super Zapper needs to be way louder and other details, but what I can hear so far I am very happy with. It's better sound than anything I managed before which were mostly simple blips, bloops, and blops.
CunningFellow wrote:Is it shared or separate ?
Eh, that's a tough one and a couple extra important decisions to make that I can see.

If 1 player dies do both players restart the level or does the dead player respawn in place(with a short invincibility flashing to avoid rapid re-death) and the action keeps going? That seems like the biggest decision that affects gameplay. If you must restart, then having separate lives might make sense. It would be kind of funny like the old Contra games, the other guy has squandered his lives and hes been watching you play alone for 2 levels....he "accidentally" hits start button to steal a rest from you... then immediately proceeds to throw that rest into a bullet :lol: The social element made it always better with a second player, even if they made it harder to win.

I don't know how feasible it is to make more enemies come if you are playing cooperative. If it's not, assuming roughly equal skill, there isn't much reason to have separate scores since you'd be better off alone for a high score. Shared powerups and loss of the AI droid help to balance the difficulty. If lives are shared, you have twice as much claw area the enemy can hit and cost a life during hectic moments, but twice as much firepower also..with variable player skill I doubt that "equation" means anything. I'd probably just share both as I imagine it's easier to implement, and see if it works out well.

Would there be any issues if both players had jump ability and are at different "zoom out" positions?

PS, I don't hear the "PLAY" sample happening and "D3ATHADD3R" should be "D3THADD3R" :P
Alec, I notice some instruments that don't use "PC_NOTE_CUT", do you think that will cause any issues?
Attachments
6_19_patches.zip
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Alec, I notice some instruments that don't use "PC_NOTE_CUT", do you think that will cause any issues?
Should not since they should have envelopes. PC_NOTE_CUT is really when you want to end the sound without envelopes. What's your concern?
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Source code
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2E4a ... authuser=0
Hex file
Uze file
Uze,
Can you add these to the wiki page ?
Done. Are these permanent links?

Btw, your wiki account doesn'twork anymore?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Wiki account still works, but I thought most of the links to HEX files on the wiki pointed to your domain (which I obv cant upload files too)

If they are fine to be hosted on google - I'll update them as I do new releases as the sounds get improved.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It's fine for me --as long as google keeps Drive alive! I'll make a backup on my site anyway.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I feel like doing music stuff tonight... :P Wondering if there's ~1.5K free for a new song? Which other one is a favorite out there?

Edit: Well, I think the only other available in .mod that sound good is this one

D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I was hoping you would say that! Hopefully the sound effects haven't eaten too much.I really believe you could do another song with a sample if you reduced the rate on "PLAY" to half too.

I have to vote for "Constructive Demolition" which would still be good without the samples. The whole sound track rocks so it's hard to go wrong.

Edit-yeah can't find a mod for that one. Digital Terror is awesome, though I would argue Track 6 hereis pretty good too