Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
danboid

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by danboid »

Get the file called bootloader5.hex and put it in the directory with cuzebox.exe

Copy t2k.uze and utempest.lvl to that same directory.

Run bootloader5.hex. The gameloader menu should appear in the emulator.
This method works but with cuzebox being in my path. No need to copy its binary into the same dir as the T2K files.

It's looking and sounding great!

Thanks CF!
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I can't take any credit for how it sounds apart from the missing instrument. D3thAdd3r did the SFX and Uze did the Music.

At the moment I am going through and neatening up the code and adding comments.

I would appreciate any feedback on how difficult it is to understand how the code works.

I feel like I probably need to add a lot of detail and flow charts to the video-mode so that people can understand them.
danboid

Post by danboid »

I suspect a lot of it will be over my C/ASM programming beginner head but I will try to glean something from it. It might make more sense to me with a few years experience. Its great that we have the source to one of the most advanced Uzebox games for the more experienced developers to learn from. Please upload it to multiple 'safe' spaces.

Did you see my post in the hardware section about the Vectron VGA plus? I know that hardware addons for console have never been successful and so this would undoubtably suffer the same fate but I'd love to hear your opinion on the likilhood of getting it to work with the UB as I know a few people wanted the UB to have VGA. Do you think it would be possible to achieve 30 fps 640x480 video with 256 colours with that attached to the UB, after someome writes a driver for it? It may be only useful for text output. It might be useful for this rumoured UB based computer that Uze is working on.

I can still get the Uzebox repo to build under Linux if I tweak its Makefiles but it looks like the main repo (and cuzebox) are effectively dead and Jubatian isn't responding to emails. Hopefully Uze will take over maintainership of the UB repo. Its got a couple of PRs that are nearly two years old now.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The main game loop and the stuff in objects.c could be a good candidate for a beginner to intermediate C programmer to look at and get a feel for how others treat the logic for a game like this.

I am not a very good or orthodox C programmer so copying my style would not be advisable. However the concepts are probably sound :)
danboid

Post by danboid »

Speaking of source, did you ever release the source code to chickens in choppers? Apparently not according to its UB wiki page, I hope you stil have it? That's one of my fave UB games - the graphic style is great!

Do you not use Github or Gitlab? I prefer people upload their code to one of them as it seems a bit safer and it also opens up the slightly increased possibility of someone improving it and submitting a patch or two, on github anyway due to its massive community.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

My poor sad ancient broken computer has problems with GIT and I have neither the energy or money to upgrade it at present.

I just dumped the source in the chickens thread.

Be prepared to be horrified by the code though.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2410&p=33440#p33440
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks CF!

What drew me to the UB as someone wanting to learn the basics of C and game dev is that most of the UB games are open source and all of the dev tools are open source. The more complete examples of games we have available the better, especially good ones like this.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Last thing I am doing before I take a rest for a bit.

Thought I would add a spinning around claw to the top left and right of the high score screen.

The left one spins CCW and the right one spins CW. When I was thinking about how to make them spin different directions without having to use extra flash space I came up with a solution that took less flash space.
T2KHighScores.png
T2KHighScores.png (33.95 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
After this I am going to concentrate on doing some more code commenting.

Then I will try figure out what happened to the music Uze made for me and why some instruments when quiet.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks for the updates, source code and feedback CF!

Before you run off to hibernate, I'd like to hear you thoughts on how much effort it might be to port AtmegaSID to the Uzebox:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2282

It seems it was written for the ATMEGA8 series MCU. Do you have any idea how much they differ from the 644 and how portable C code might be between them? I'd expect there will be a few tweaks required to get it going properly and I think it will require a fair bit of extra code so it can play .sid files and do it from a nice UB menu.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Found the problem with Uzes title music missing an instrument. Silly mistake on my part getting the 256 byte waves mixed up because I had no idea how the sound system worked apart from the inline mixer.

Also added Jubatian to the credits for doing the gradient on the 2000 on the title screen.

Will do a few more comments and then zip up another release.

Has anyone looked at the source code yet to see if it makes sense to them?