Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by uze6666 »

What were the limitations on 5th again?

Also I forgot that you have to choose between channel 5 and UART buffers. Cunning I'm sure you have a lot rolling on this right now, but do you think you will want to use UART/Uzenet?
There's no limitation, apart the fact it takes cycles and, at present, you can't also fit the UART code. Tornado songs were done to use all 5 channels for the "play" sample. It would be nice to try to optimize the assembler mixer instead of sacrificing that extra channel. Cunning, if you need another asm challenge when you're done with Tornado... ;)

Btw, Lee's upload works fine for me. All works top notch! Though that's a big freaking data file. I only have 256megs cards now for the next batch of kits. After, I'll try to get 512 megs cards that are fast enough.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Don't think I would need Uzenet for Tornado.

When I have got the highscore table and the extra lives stuff done, I'll zip up the source code and give it to D3thadd3r to add magic sound too.

Glad it works on other hardware than mine and also you guys like how it looks.

I can try the ASM for the sound stuff. Not sure I would have much luck as you guys have already been improving it for years. You never know though, sometimes another set of eyes helps.

I do have a few irons in the fire at the moment. The filled 3D polygon mode for submarine simulator and a perspective car racing mode with megasprites are both past proof of concept stage.

I will post up a demo of the 3D filled polygon mode using canned data in the next couple of weeks. Just as soon as I can write some PC code to can up the data.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I do have a few irons in the fire at the moment. The filled 3D polygon mode for submarine simulator and a perspective car racing mode with megasprites are both past proof of concept stage.

I will post up a demo of the 3D filled polygon mode using canned data in the next couple of weeks. Just as soon as I can write some PC code to can up the data.
Very interesting projects! I'm specially interested by the car game, it's another of those things we've been discussing for years.

Btw, I could not test tornado on the hardware since I blew up my AVRISP last weekend. And just learned, they are not made anymore. A real shame since they were great and inexpensive programmers.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The car racing one is low res - 160 pixel across.

Thats the same resolution as an Amstrad CPC could do in 16 colours for its version of outrun. The line renderer code is working on this one, but it may be useless for games as there might not be enough flash left for big sprites.

The one that I am finding a lot more interesting is the 3D filled polygon one. It is much more fun to program and is also much closer to having a demo ready. It also uses very little flash for the video mode.

For the programmer the Atmel ICE is a good choice

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/4753381
http://www.atmel.com/tools/atatmel-ice.aspx

Does more than my AVR One! does at 1/10th the price.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

OH - and it does convert to a UZE file OK and run.

That is how I tested it on my hardware.

Only thing is the Uze ROM packing utility gives an error "unknown record type 3"

The UZE file still worked though. Mainly I would like someone to test it on different SD cards. It works in the emulator, it works on my hardware with the uSD card. I just don't have full sized SD to test with.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

For the programmer the Atmel ICE is a good choice
Yep, that's the one I ended up ordering. Should have it tomorrow.
Only thing is the Uze ROM packing utility gives an error "unknown record type 3"
Is this with the PackromGUI or command line tool?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

The CLI version not the GUI version.

It still works, just gives.that unknown record type warning.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hey, I showed your last title demo upload (and game play too) to friends who are actually IT competent and they were truly flabbergasted an 8-bit micro could do that!

Only comment one had is the "2000" would benefit a cooler font (perhaps I influenced him a bit on that one ;) )

Epic work in any case according to all! :)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

No doubt anyone in the know can see Cunning is an artist here with the '644 being his canvas, keyboarded brush strokes, and a pallet full of opcodes. Besides the monetary and group hysteria that makes easier to understand artwork appreciated by the masses, I'd frame a screenshot and source code listing of this before I hung up an original Rembrandt painting. That probably makes me a nerd, but on these forums I can embrace it :ugeek:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Thanks both for compliments.

Uze, do you have an idea/preference for the 2000 font.

I do not have enough ramTiles to do a keystone shaped font like the original t2k