Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Little stuff like that doesnt even seem a compromise; more like style differences. If all that stuff is there and you still have ram tiles left it looks like you can pull it off. The top section is regular tiles right?
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Yes - the top section is ROM based tiles not RAMTiles.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Back from vacation and, wow awesome progress...I'm shocked at how good it looks! :shock: Personnaly, I would not see an issue to reduce the webs a bit and make the slight changes you proposed. In the end, your Uzebox version will have a unique flavor of of own, and that's a good thing too. :D
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

uze6666 wrote:Back from vacation and, wow awesome progress...I'm shocked at how good it looks! :shock: Personnaly, I would not see an issue to reduce the webs a bit and make the slight changes you proposed. In the end, your Uzebox version will have a unique flavor of of own, and that's a good thing too. :D
Thanks. I've moved the object drawing code to ASM and tweaked it a little so can overdraw things a bit more before running out of CPU. I still want to realise the sync-ended drawing loop idea I had though.

I am working on the code that manages objects and locations now. It looks like I can have 64 objects on screen at once.

Hopefully I will have a more shockingly good video by the end of the weekend.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Uze,

How much RAM do I need to leave free for Audio? (in line mixer)
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

CunningFellow wrote:Uze,

How much RAM do I need to leave free for Audio? (in line mixer)
If you have not removed any of the sound engine or music player, it should already have allocated all the ram it needs. Perhaps keep a few dozens for the stack.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

mm - everything I have done has been copied from the mode-6 demo.

I don't think it had sound enabled.

I will try play with the make file and some switches to make some noise.

If I get stuck I will come back
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Just testing the limits of how much I can fit on screen at once for game play.

The two hex numbers in the top right corner are current ramTILE usage and maximum ramTILE usage so far. The MAX that little demo uses is 0xD8. I fall over when it hits 0xFE

I am no were near running out of CPU since I have moved clearscreen to the front/back porch. This demo is not even using any ASM optimizations on the object handling routines.

Obviously the Z scale is not correct (things appear to slow down as they get closer to the screen)

I personally reckon the particle laser looks excellent :)
Attachments
RamTileCount.zip
(dot)HEX and (dot)LVL file in a directory with less that 16 other files.
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

I am not seeing the web there but you can have all that AND the web at the same time? If the answer is yes, I think an almost unbelievable version of Tempest could be pulled off and what I'm seeing right now looks great.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

mmm - yeah - the web has disappeared if I copy it to another directory. It is there on the SD card and in my "test" directory.

Don't know what went wrong.

Flippers at the top of the web flipping around use a WHOLE lot of ramTiles. So it should only break if someone is BAD at playing the game. If you are good it should be OK.

I still have mutant flippers and demon_heads to add.

Also now I have seen how full I can make the web, I might have another trick up my sleeve. I was scared about the lack of ramTiles to start with, but this demo has given me a bit more confidence.