Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by D3thAdd3r »

CunningFellow wrote:Does the emulator support SD writing OK ?
No it's a needed feature but it looks difficult.
uze6666 wrote:Really proud to have converted that song now!
Haha the amazing sound on that was so obvious right away I forgot to even make a point of it. Awesome work, it's state of the art Uzebox quality. This proves the Uzebox is a legitimate platform for chip tune competitions, here it sounds better than a lot of C64 or Amiga games sound track.
CunningFellow wrote:Obviously I can't do big swirlies like the Jag version did with its blitter.
I don't understand this. If you made a jaguar homebrew demo rom and stuck to a resolution of 240x224 blue/black monochrome, I would expect the Uzebox version, by virtue of pre-computed mass storage, would be able to generate better images offline than the jaguar could ever hope to do real time. The jag has less limits on resolution and color space, but offline rendering it sucks at since EEPROM vs SD is too expensive and jaguar CDs never work :lol: As far as I know the image below works in your video mode, using only 20 ram tiles for the font. Of course making an old school demo renderer to build frames to the SD card could have better results than my janky MSPaint mockup and it would be more appreciable when animated. The web rotation is a pre-computed animation right?
frame1.png
frame1.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Yeah - that would be doable.

I was thinking all the word-trails should be lighter blue which would have meant foreground colours.

I'll try whip something up that has word trails in dark blue with lighter blue main words and see how it looks.

I think it will look too crowded and too quickly give away it's video if I keep the spinning web on the same page. So I'll do the spinny web on the highscore/credit page and do the swirly word trail on the title page if it looks OK.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Some of the code here might be useful for a pre-renderer. I am just looking for an excuse to use that fire effect somewhere.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I think it will look too crowded and too quickly give away it's video if I keep the spinning web on the same page.
Totally agree on that once, it shouldn't look like video streaming.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Been playing in a spreadsheet using it as a tile mapping program. Probably easier ways to do this, but to a 10 year old child with a hammer.....

Anyways - I didn't make the word Tornado curve up at the edges as that made too many unique tiles.

With just the flat-kinda font here, I ended up at 119 tiles used. Take another 6 away for the words "PRESS START" and I have 2 tiles spare.

(Note there are presently several non-unique tiles in the "2000". But I am planing on adding colours to the border of these which will turn them into unique tiles.)

Now I have to import these tiles in Qt and work out how to do the swirly movie :) Maybe get it done on the long weekend.

I've also added another HEX with a slightly improved spinning web. I marked the corners/extent of the screen, and then recorded a new web at a higher zoom level so it just fits in the visible screen
T2KTitle.png
T2KTitle.png (17.37 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Attachments
TitleSpin.zip
(251.4 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

No swirlies yet, but I got the tiles for the title all done.

It looks pretty schmick with the web spinning behind it. Should look extra awesome with the swirlies

(The "PRESS START" is a bit of a tease. It doesn't have the game joined in yet)
Attachments
TitleSpin.zip
(254.02 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

This looks great!
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Very cool! I would be tempted to say that I'd use the same font for the "2000" as the Tornado one which is just perfect (specially with a border that's another color).
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Doesn't quite look as good as the Jaguar, but hey - it had 56 extra bits.

I am thinking THIS IS the coolest looking tempest 2000 clone on any 8 bit computer system.

Uze, I was planing on making the "2000" have some different shades of yellow in it to make it look round. I have 3 unique colours per scanline I can do here. The flat yellow was just easier to get something to look at.

Next task is using the spreadsheet to make myself a font for the credits/highscore screens.
Attachments
TitleSwirl.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Awesome! This is turning out to be way past cool!

I've been watching along and I have a question. If you are using a total vector video mode then how do you have tiles? Or, is the vector mode simply just all ram tiles and you put some normal tiles into those ramtiles from SD?