Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
uze6666
Site Admin

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by uze6666 »

Don't drive yourself mad for UCC2014!! It sure it a good incentive to get stuff done, but in the end hopefully you'll keep going even if you don't have time to finish as planned. I will definitely help with the music/sound aspect of it after UCC. It's going to be a masterpiece. 8-)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Well - Sorry guys - I didnt get a complete games done.

Geez I am slack - over 12 months and I still didnt manage it.

But here it is - it's playable - but its far from complete.

I made a bad choice in the behavior management and it just got harder and harder - I need to rethink/refactor that and start again. leaving it to the last day is never a good thing.

Flippers, tankers and Spikers are present. No other aliens and no power-up :(

I'll add the jump/zoom bits next week - then firgure out a better way to handle the object behaviors.

Still - looks pretty amazing even if the gameplay is bad. here is a video

http://youtu.be/Wm5THcciFhw
Attachments
Tornado2000.zip
(803.47 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by CunningFellow on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

It seems your latest video is marked private?

Still, submit whatever you have for the compo. It's worth a lot on the technical aspects. And I'm pretty sure you'll end up in the top 5. ;)
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

sorry - video was still uploading when I posted that. My internet is TCP/IP over smoke signals speeds.

The final HEX and level data fro the comp is in the above post.

I'll send you the source later when I package it up
hpglow

Post by hpglow »

That is pretty damn sexy.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Looks just like T2k with a few less particles. The sex appeal is, rather strangely, very real... :shock:
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

:shock: It's hard to believe it's running on a 8bit microcontroller with 4K of RAM (we tend to forget that sometime ;) ), but I swear I see it on my TV!!!

And very happy you could make a video with the music in the game! :D
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I am fairly proud of how I got the visual effects and movement looking.

it is just a shame I am a slack prick and left it so late and didnt get the game very game-like for the comp.

Thanks Uze/D3thadd3r both for working on sound things for me. I had no hope of getting them properly integrated in the mad rush last night to get something playable.

I promise to finish this off and get it all nice in the coming weeks (health permitting - so that might turn into months)

THEN I have an ever crazier idea for a video-mode game I want to do :) Turns out there is 200 clock cycles free per scanline I didn't even KNOW about. 200 clocks should be enough for a bit of H.264 decoding with some left spare for processing stuff for SETI@home.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

CunningFellow wrote:with some left spare for processing stuff for SETI@home.
:lol:
Yes, after the overhead for the network interace, the time for serial transfer to another MCU, propagated through the internet by another device; I think the 300 8 bit cycles a second we could spare, with no ram behind it, are pretty likely to be what's really needed to de-scramble complex interstellar radio waves and in doing so eavesdrop on alien communications. As long as Uzebox ended up getting the credit there, I'd say it would make for a pretty interesting forum thread.
greenpower

Post by greenpower »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE. PERIOD.
Really, I've been following the process since you started, and the end result is just mind-boggling. A Tempest 2000 on an inexpensive 8-bit MCU. It restores my faith into efficient programming. I'd say it's a great exponent of what makes our community stand out, and one of the reasons I enjoy it even though I can't read much code :)
Let's see what will you impress us with :D
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly