Tempest is possible

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.
D3thAdd3r

Re: Tempest is possible

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Tempest 2k music is epic really hope it fits. If you don't have enough flash for music, wouldn't it be realistic to switch to SD during free cycles read a couple bytes of music data and switch back to your graphical SD data before the render cycles battle? Even a good trade for a scanline off the top to have a soundtrack if it came down to time.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

if I knew how to attach audio I would post the T2K "yes yes yes" snippit.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

CunningFellow wrote:if I knew how to attach audio I would post the T2K "yes yes yes" snippit.
Adding audio would mean a slight mod to teh audio driver and you allocating one byte per scanline for the sound sample in your stream. Plus a couple more after the end of frame's image data for the samples during vsync. There's a couple gotchas like trying to not have a sector boundary during vsync since the audio driver would not know how to handle it. Oh and obviously this implies you can't loop on the same image anymore, you'd basically have a movie of your web background. So the current sound engine sounds better to me, as it would yield a more appropriate 8-bit sound.
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

I think D3thAdd3rs idea was to read all 200+ samples into RAM during the TOP of the frame and then switch back to BMP during the frame rather than interleaving BMP and audio in the same spot of the card.

Don't know about the feasabilty of that and if SD cards like jumping around.

Personally I have never been a fan of music in games that is only there for musics sake. Unless the music is part of the game (changes tempo or mood with the state of the game) I've always thought playing your favorite CD in the background is nicer.

This is coming from someone that has a computer with no ability to output audio though.
greenpower

Post by greenpower »

I've been away for a couple of months, so I lost the developing process. Seeing this now really blows my mind :) Don't lose patience and continue your work. I'm really excited to see how this gesamtkunstwerk turns out! :D Maybe I'll be able to provide some music, who knows.

Best wishes!
I know i'm too young, but it doesn't matters. Maybe i'm a newbie, but i can learn very fastly
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

I think D3thAdd3rs idea was to read all 200+ samples into RAM during the TOP of the frame and then switch back to BMP during the frame rather than interleaving BMP and audio in the same spot of the card.
That's indeed the easiest way, pretty much the Uzeamp way. Thing is, that takes a ring buffer chipping away 524 bytes of ram, precious bytes more useful for ramtiles and such.
Don't know about the feasabilty of that and if SD cards like jumping around.
I doesn't like that much at all. You'd though solid state would be fast but it seems to be the integrated controller that's slow.
Personally I have never been a fan of music in games that is only there for musics sake. Unless the music is part of the game (changes tempo or mood with the state of the game) I've always thought playing your favorite CD in the background is nicer.
This is coming from someone that has a computer with no ability to output audio though.
A good, pushy techno track would do wonders on tempest IHMO. :D At very least I'd provide some sound effects.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

uze6666 wrote:I doesn't like that much at all
Heh I knew it would be slow as hell, but I just want to experiment so I know what can be done and what can't.

Seems people really want music in tempest :lol:
CunningFellow

Post by CunningFellow »

Have been racking my brain.

I can not work out a way to make different coloured webs without either

1, Reprogramming flash every 16 levels
2, Trashing the bootloader

Reprogramming flash every 16 levels of the game is probably not a good idea as it will wear out flash too quickly.

Trashing the bootloader seems too abhorrent for the general public.

So I think I am just going to go with the option of having two versions of Tempest.

1, Blue only webs for people without an ISP programmer (keeps bootloader)
2, Multi-Coloured webs for people that do have an ISP programmer (trashes bootloader)

If I trash the bootloader I can have the background bitmap (web) in any of the 256 colours.

Still if someone can come up with a solution I can't see then we can have best of both worlds.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

16 levels would already be awesome ihmo... How many did you plan? I second the the two version approach, Paul McPhee did that for his pacman port.