NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

L4rry

Re: NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v1.0

Post by L4rry »

Janka wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:48 pm Uh, and yeah, v1.2 is available.
Find the documentation at http://ianka.github.io/wuergertime/
I'm so 'Ready for Heatup' :mrgreen:
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Burger Time! I'm really happy to see this working on the Uzebox.

When you have a final version I can update the database on the Online Emulator. Is this the final version? I could also update the existing demo.

Great job!
Janka

Post by Janka »

It's much much better than what you have as a WiP piece in your online emulator selection. Please update to v1.2.

There are still minor graphics bugs in v1.2:
  • At the start of the bonus stage, the cook sometimes disappears.
  • Just before Game Over, the falling burger pieces overwrite the plates.
Also, I like to revisit the opponent algorithms, and introduce some automatisms to make level editing simpler.

Music is missing and there are 3K ROM left.
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

Okay. I'll update the WIP link to v1.2.

When you release a final version I can make it so it is the same link (meaning there isn't a WIP version and a RELEASE version, just one link.) If you are interested please let me know.

Again, super awesome to see this! I looked at the code and I saw this was using video mode 3. I thought you were making a different video mode with different tile heights/widths. What changed your mind?
Janka

Post by Janka »

I started with video mode 3 and found a way to move the burgers in 4 pixel vertical steps with those combined tiles. It's not the ideal solution but its viable. It was important to me to complete the game first. Not doing what Babbage did with his machines.

I think I will redo it with my proposed video mode 11 as this will save about 10K flash for this game, I think. Lots of features to add!

But my next Uzebox related project is re-adding support for MMC to the game loader. It would be a waste to throw all those 150 cards away. :lol:
Jubatian

Post by Jubatian »

Nice game, a bit difficult for me at the moment, though, but feels fun! I wonder how it actually has 99 levels, at least to the appearance it isn't obvious how it can be packed to fit (didn't look at code yet), assuming that all 99 levels are different. Not something very complex I guess, these are still just single screens. I like the level entry animations, gives a bit of important character to the game!
Janka

Post by Janka »

There's a two-stage level mechanism. You can put floors, ladders, burger pieces, options etc. into groups, then select the groups to use for each level. I made seven different layouts of burger plates, each with 4 to 6 optional groups, which gives 50 different levels. It's always nasty when you are used to a layout, and then there's an important ladder missing. The second 49 levels are same as the first in different order with different opponents and different level options. That way, all levels just take up 3KByte.

There's a level editor!
Janka

Re: NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Post by Janka »

v2.0 is available.

Changes against v1.2:
  • There's a new level option wrap east-west which joins floors touching the east and west border of the screen, if any.
  • Designing levels is more simple as I eliminated the need to care for overlapping floors and continued ladders. This is handled by the game automatically now.
Find the documentation at http://ianka.github.io/wuergertime/
nicksen782

Post by nicksen782 »

I've updated it to 2.0.

https://nicksen782.net/UAM/APP_emu/emu.php?gameid=166

NOTE: I see that the direct links are not working. I'll work on this soon. But, you can still select the game from the games list.

May I suggest that on further updates to the game that you also include a version number or datecode of some sort? I have the game version files named with their version but I would like to be able to check against any mistakes I may make by seeing a version number.
Janka

Post by Janka »

Nice, thanks!

You mean, included in the binary? Is there a field in the gameinfo.properties for this?