NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

Janka

Re: WIP announcement: Würgertime

Post by Janka »

Thanks to all for the encouragement. About the sound and music: yes, help is very welcome. As I will release the source code (on github, I think) soon and turn this game into a collaborative work, you could prepare some sounds and music, please.
Janka

Post by Janka »

As promised, I uploaded the sources to github. You can get them by doing

Code: Select all

$ git clone https://github.com/ianka/wuergertime
Please note the kernel is not included, so you have to edit default/Makefile. For creating tiles0.inc and sprites0.inc, the make process needs the source files tiles.pcx and sprites.pcx which you have to create by hand by exporting the corresponding .xcf files to pcx in GIMP. For the pcxtotiles tool, you need a Tcl interpreter.

I will push changes into the archive as soon I think they are settled.
paul

Post by paul »

Looks like nice & clean sources, Janka. Good job.
Janka

Post by Janka »

Please see the attached new demo, with bugfixes and featuring a first (dumb) opponent, copying the moves of the player at some occasions. No other interaction with it yet. Updated sources on github.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121010.hex.gz
(33.56 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Janka

Post by Janka »

I added multiple opponents. They are coming in a single attack wave now, but support for multiple waves is already built in. Up to four opponents are possible at the same time due to the RAM tile limitations. But four is really hard already. Sprites are different but they still share the same dumb movement logic, so they may end up moving on top of each other. Please see the attached demo. Sources are updated on github.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121012.hex.gz
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice progress and the enemy graphics look good. Curious how many ram tiles you have and what percent of ram you have left. Keep it going!
Janka

Post by Janka »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Curious how many ram tiles you have and what percent of ram you have left.
32 RAM tiles, currently 3757 bytes RAM in use. I don't think it gets much more, at max 100 byte more. Should fit with the stack.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Great progress :D !
Janka

Post by Janka »

I have added an algorithm which makes the opponents hunt the player. They still all share the same algorithm, but now there is a generic countermeasure against clustering of opponents: if they have the same algorithm and direction, they will try to change their direction randomly if they come too close to each other. Please see the demo, sources updated on github.

I think it requires some skill now to avoid all the enimes. What do you think about the difficulty? :mrgreen:
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121013.hex.gz
(35.23 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Nice, very effective enemies indeed; seems nearly perfect AI for this game ;) Comparing it to the NES version though, I feel like the gameplay logic runs about twice as fast. Likely I am just that terrible at the game, but I am thinking it will be near impossible to beat many levels at current speed(even after the chef gets his pepper? abilities). In your game loop, I wonder what running your game logic every other frame would do. If it wasn't too choppy, you have tons of extra cycles to use if you run into space troubles(wouldn't worry about that yet, just saying).