NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

D3thAdd3r

Re: WIP announcement: Würgertime

Post by D3thAdd3r »

The game is quite playable at this point and it looks like you are doing good on flash too. I checked out the original version you had, and the little bug when you walk over a burger component slipped in some time(where you have to walk over it twice?). Other than that I think you could start making levels, music, and sfx. BTW, are you still planning the video mode for this one? Seems like it might not even be necessary from what I'm seeing.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

WOW - it looks really awesome.
Janka

Post by Janka »

D3thAdd3r wrote:Other than that I think you could start making levels, music, and sfx.
Well, you all can do! Please see the data/levels.inc file in the sources. It's very easy to make own levels and, as suggested, the levels will have names and designers showed in the intermission screens. Same for SFX and so on. Just join the github project or fork it. It's free!
BTW, are you still planning the video mode for this one? Seems like it might not even be necessary from what I'm seeing.
I will start video mode 11 development after Würgertime is done. Currently Würgertime has 50kB flash without music, so it may fit into the Uzebox including the SD card bootloader. If it won't fit, or only with limited levels, no music or similar, I will make a minimal Würgertime, do the video mode 11 stuff and then reimplement the full game with mode 11. Otherwise I will do another game with video mode 11.
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

Hey Janka, what's up with würgertime? It was very promising... Any hope we'll get more of it soon?
Janka

Post by Janka »

Only a little, the last thing I was working on was the high score and inter-level screens. That was in December. But I think I'll have some time for completing it in the next weeks. It would be great if people would create their own levels, test and post them. As said, the inter-level screens will name the level author so I think it's a nice and an easy way to collaborate on the game.

To all: if there are any instructions needed how to do your own Würgertime levels, feel free to ask.

Missing features to day:
* High score screen (cuurent WiP)
* Inter-level screen (current WiP)
* Level Win screen (current WiP)
* Mr Mustard logic
* Bonus Items
* Sounds
* Music
uze6666
Site Admin

Post by uze6666 »

To all: if there are any instructions needed how to do your own Würgertime levels, feel free to ask.
Well, I do feel compelled to ask.. :) Is there an editor? I'm surely not the only one waiting to play this great game. I'll gladly contribute the music conversion, perhaps some sound effects too. You were so much advanced in the game, would we sad to see it unfinished!
Janka

Post by Janka »

Well, an editor *could* be made, but it's a whole new project. The levels are currently descriptions like this:

Code: Select all

/* Level descriptions. */
const uint8_t LevelDrawings[] PROGMEM={
	/* Level 0 */
	1, 2, 3, 0,

/* End of level drawings */
};

const level_item_t LevelComponents[] PROGMEM={
	/* Component block 1 */
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_PLAYER_START(15,8),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(11,5),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(20,5),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(8,12),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(11,20),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(15,20),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPPONENT_START(12,20),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_ATTACK_WAVE(
		LEVEL_ITEM_ATTACK_WAVE_EGGHEAD,
		LEVEL_ITEM_ATTACK_WAVE_SAUSAGEMAN,
		LEVEL_ITEM_ATTACK_WAVE_MRMUSTARD,
		LEVEL_ITEM_ATTACK_WAVE_MRMUSTARD
	),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_OPTIONS(
		LEVEL_ITEM_OPTION_STOMP_TWICE|
		LEVEL_ITEM_OPTION_OPPONENT_TRIO|
		LEVEL_ITEM_OPTION_ATTACK_WAVE_MEDIUM|
		LEVEL_ITEM_OPTION_BONUS_SLOW
	),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 0,20,30,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_LEFT),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 0,16,30,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 0,12,30,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_RIGHT),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 0, 7, 9,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 7, 8,23,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 0, 3, 9,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR(21, 4, 9,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR( 7, 5,12,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_FLOOR(19, 5, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_FLOOR_CAP_BOTH),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_END,

/* Component block 2 */
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 0, 3, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 0, 7, 5,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 0,12, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 0,16, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7, 3, 2,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7, 5, 2,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7, 7, 1,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7, 8, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7,12, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER( 7,20, 8,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED|LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_UPONLY),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(14, 8, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(14,12, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(14,16, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(21,20, 8,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED|LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_UPONLY),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(21, 5, 3,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(21, 8, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(21,12, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(28, 4, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(28,12, 4,LEVEL_ITEM_LADDER_CONTINUED),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LADDER(28,16, 4,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_END,

/* Component block 3 */
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_SIGN(9,0),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_PLATE(2,27),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNBOTTOM,2,19),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(CHEESESALAD,2,15),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PATTY,2,11),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(TOMATO,2,6),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNTOP,2,2),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_PLATE(9,27),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNBOTTOM,9,19),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(CHEESESALAD,9,15),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PATTY,9,11),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNTOP,9,7),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_PLATE(16,27),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNBOTTOM,16,19),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PATTY,16,15),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(TOMATO,16,11),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNTOP,16,7),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_PLATE(23,27),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNBOTTOM,23,19),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PLACEHOLDER,23,15),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PATTY,23,11),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(PLACEHOLDER,23,7),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BURGER(BUNTOP,23,3),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_SCORE(0,0),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_BONUS(23,0),
	LEVEL_COMPONENT_LIVES(0,27),

LEVEL_COMPONENT_END,
};
So the levels are made of large building blocks numbered from 1 to 255, with each building block having descriptions where the platforms and ladders should start and which length they are, along with the start positions for the burgers, the enemies and the cook and some settings, like the attack waves and the position of score, bonus and lives markers.

I know this isn't an editor, but I think it's pretty easy to design levels with those parts.
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Hey Janka, as per our recent PM discussion I would be interested in helping to generate some content in the form of levels, music, sfx, or whatever is needed. This is a really nice game, it's close to done, and you did some unique video tech on this so I am pretty excited to see this one reach it's complete form. I'm glad I rechecked this thread, as I had forgotten you gave a level format description...I was about to look at figuring it out the hard way(diving into someone else's code, and the time it takes to gain orientation, we all know how that is).

I like creative and original things but there is a lot to be said for the quicker ways since that ends up getting completed more often. For sound I searched around and I keep finding the same NSF file, that contains just 6 "tracks", which seemed low. Upon a little investigation, I actually think that might be the total number of sfx AND music entries in the entire game(NES version). That would not take long to convert that, and sound would be then be something not to need thinking about. The visuals are already great, splice in some audio and I think the whole things comes to life more, gains some motivation, etc.

For levels I will have to look into that a little more and experiment some to make sure I understand how things work. One idea, and I do not know your intended creative direction yet, would be to use the classic levels from the NES version. I will figure out how many of those there actually are and maybe it will help decide. If there are just a few, it is probably not time effective(and so needlessly decreases probability of completion) to figure out the level format so they can be ripped. Sometimes it is pretty easy to more or less clone the layout/behavior of a level by looking at it, the "analog" way. If there are lots of levels, then usually..sometimes, the formats are not hard to deduce and write a quick ripper for.

Anyway, if you have time in the near future please do let me know. It seems like this one is basically teetering on the edge of done anyway, was there any difficult code considerations you were working on last? This could be a serious contender for Uzebox Coding Competition 2016! 8-)
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Well, my not so secret and obvious plan to entice someone back to their very nice project is underway ;)

I screwed around with music quite a bit and made some pieces of songs here and there, and nothing I made was fitting. That "chase" sound is what I was trying to emulate, in the spirit of the original song, but unique like the Würgertime graphics. Got a light bulb and reworked one of my favorites, Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca" or "Turkish March" into a video game interpretation(that is, save space and avoid repetition and polyphony). I think it works pretty well, opinions? At least it is less repetitious than the very short loop heard on the NES, and I do not think copyright issues should ever arise from this one :roll:

Now sound effects and the couple little music bits for level entry, level clearing, dying, etc. Hoping that all music and sound effects will squeeze under 4k, so far around 2.5k.
Attachments
Wuergertime.hex
(145.73 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

So, I am working off the codebase on github which is not the latest Janka worked on(he is busy for a while, like we all can get), and so things like pepper throwing, stunning enemies, etc. are not implemented. Also, there is some bugs with the burger components, so really you can only get a sense of the enemy squishing mechanic on the left most burger component(most of the time). Still you can check out almost all of the sound effects by pressing a,b,x,y, or by squishing an enemy, pressing start to pause, etc.

There is of course still missing code for things like the intro after the title and before playing. Also the screen after you die/get a game over is not present. So use a bit of imagination there for the missing transition screens, fade in/outs, etc. There is now a title song, level intro song, level theme, game over theme(where you might enter initials or something), as well as many sound effects.

Check it out, I think just having the sound makes it feel much more complete. Barring anyone pointing out any glaring horrible problems, I think this is complete for sound! Nebososo's Uzebox Patch Studio is an absolute game changer, and I can now back that up with personal experience doing totally original effects for an entire game with it...better and quicker than I used to do!

**I like the title song, does it seem to fit in with the rest of the game though?
Attachments
Wuergertime.hex
(154.47 KiB) Downloaded 894 times