NEW GAME ALERT: Würgertime v2.0

Use this forum to share and discuss Uzebox games and demos.

Hot or not?

Yuck!
20%
Blarg!
40%
Hgnnn!
20%
Choke!
20%

Total votes: 5

Janka

Re: WIP announcement: Würgertime

Post by Janka »

I have added a different AI for the eggheads. They run to a random bun top, then they choose another one to run to. As the player primarily has to stomp the bun tops, they are still obnoxious but not as evil as the hunters. Please see the sources on github and the demo.

I have found a bug in both the algorithms. If the target, player or buntop, is at the upper right corner and the opponents are on the upper left, they cannot reach their target because of the construction of the platforms. I think I have to introduce a penalty for hitting a floor end and make the direction choosing random at the next ladder entry.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121014.hex.gz
(35.6 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
Janka

Post by Janka »

D3thAdd3r wrote: Likely I am just that terrible at the game, but I am thinking it will be near impossible to beat many levels at current speed(even after the chef gets his pepper? abilities).
Slower and easier is never a problem.
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Janka wrote:I have added a different AI for the eggheads. They run to a random bun top, then they choose another one to run to. As the player primarily has to stomp the bun tops, they are still obnoxious but not as evil as the hunters. Please see the sources on github and the demo.

I have found a bug in both the algorithms. If the target, player or buntop, is at the upper right corner and the opponents are on the upper left, they cannot reach their target because of the construction of the platforms. I think I have to introduce a penalty for hitting a floor end and make the direction choosing random at the next ladder entry.
It looks very nice, but it's very fast (for an old man as me ;-) Does the player in the finised game will have the possibility to "kill" or "stop" the opponents?

-Harty
Janka

Post by Janka »

Harty123 wrote:Does the player in the finised game will have the possibility to "kill" or "stop" the opponents?
Sure, like in the original Burger Time the cook can collect pepper pots and throw pepper to stop them, and like the original, he can smash opponents by catching them with falling burger components. I'm at the latter function currently.

EDIT: I made a new demo. There is now some basic randomness in opponent movement, selectable in the level description. The opponents will act more random once they turned around in a dead end. Eggheads will keep in this "mad" state until they find their target bun top, the other two will stay like this for a few seconds. As a new feature, I made it possible to smash opponents. They will just stop in the current demo, I think I will make them leave the screen in a parabola like in "Rick Dangerous". Please see the updated sources at github.

EDIT: Added off-screen jumping of hit enemies. Please see the updated demo.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121016.hex.gz
(36.34 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Harty123

Post by Harty123 »

Hi,

I added an WIP entry and page in the wiki for this great game:

http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Wurgertime

@Janka

Feel free to change this page.

-Harty
Janka

Post by Janka »

I've made a new demo. Now hit enemies are replaced after a while. The maximum number of enemies can be configured per level, as well in which attack wave they should come. Updated sources on github.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121026.hex.gz
(36.57 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Roukan

Post by Roukan »

Hi There

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "could it be a Burgertime port for the Uzebox", and lo and behold it sure was :D

Love the title, even though very similar to the original - in my eyes it has a nice ring to it - made me smile.

Gave it a little play (not much time tonight as it's getting late here), but it looks great.

Took me back nearly 30 years, I used to play this at a friends house in the early/mid 80's on his Mattel Aquarius computer.

Look forward to seeing this finished (Hopefully give you feedback along the way).

Keep up the great work.

Roukan / Jim
Janka

Post by Janka »

With the latest additions there is some score for stomping down burger components and for hitting opponents, as well the cook can now be caught by them. Please see the attached demo. Updated sources on github, as always.
Attachments
Wuergertime-demo-20121103.hex.gz
(37.98 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
D3thAdd3r

Post by D3thAdd3r »

Good to see this progress, the game is really coming together well
Janka

Post by Janka »

D3thAdd3r, you offered some sounds. How should we put the collaborative effort together? Cleanest solution would be you had an account on github, so I could add you to the project and you can commit the sounds yourself. I will change the title screen to have some animation for the credits.